• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures of the Big Boy
2 2

8 posts in this topic

$2.00 is a GREAT price for issue 88.

Growing up in Phila. in the 60's Bob's Big Boy was my favorite restaurant, my memory was that the big boy statue was 30' tall, I was a bit disappointed as an adult when I found out it was only 7' tall.

However, I started collecting the "Adventures Of The Big Boy" books back around 2005 or so (no longer buy any issues), the series runs from 1957 - 1996, I was/am only interested in the books between 1957 and 1965 (we moved in 65 so no more Bob's Big Boy. :()

I currently have the majority of the issues from 61-99, 58 is my oldest.

Adventures Of The Big Boy 58   FN 6.0.JPG

Adventures Of The Big Boy 88   VG 4.0.JPG

On 6/17/2022 at 10:00 AM, marvelmaniac said:

$2.00 is a GREAT price for issue 88.

Growing up in Phila. in the 60's Bob's Big Boy was my favorite restaurant, my memory was that the big boy statue was 30' tall, I was a bit disappointed as an adult when I found out it was only 7' tall.

However, I started collecting the "Adventures Of The Big Boy" books back around 2005 or so (no longer buy any issues), the series runs from 1957 - 1996, I was/am only interested in the books between 1957 and 1965 (we moved in 65 so no more Bob's Big Boy. :()

I currently have the majority of the issues from 61-99, 58 is my oldest.

Adventures Of The Big Boy 58   FN 6.0.JPG

Adventures Of The Big Boy 88   VG 4.0.JPG

Thanks for sharing this! It was one of those books that I knew zero about, but when I saw it, it felt like something I should pick up for the price - I love the "old Americana" feel around the Big Boy stuff. I've only eaten at a Big Boy twice - once on the way to Detroit and once in Cleveland.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:04 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Thanks for sharing this! It was one of those books that I knew zero about, but when I saw it, it felt like something I should pick up for the price - I love the "old Americana" feel around the Big Boy stuff. I've only eaten at a Big Boy twice - once on the way to Detroit and once in Cleveland.

Those books hold a lot of fond memories for me, I also collected other books from my childhood that no one else would be interested in such as Beany And Cecil and Tom Terrific, Enjoy that book and hopefully there are books out there that bring back fond memories for you, that is what this is all about.

You are not going to do all of the puzzles and games are you? :bigsmile:

On 6/17/2022 at 10:41 AM, marvelmaniac said:

You are not going to do all of the puzzles and games are you? :bigsmile:

Ha! No, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that no one else had done them either!

Marvel started out packaging the early Big Boy comics. Stan Lee and Bill Everett did early stories. Ditko was doing art for them in the mid 2000s'.

Smilin' Ed was a regional children's show host in the 1940s' on radio. I learned about him by reading a massive Old Time Radio encyclopedia back in my twenties that described him as "one of the favorites of the radio uncles" which was a sentence I always remembered as it delighted me with that phrasing.

Manny Stallman, who was a really great journeyman artist who worked at Tower in the Sixties was the writer/editor/artist of the Big Boy stuff for years and years and apparently really loved it. Premium comics are very interesting because of the work; they're often overlooked in comics history though there's been a few books about them over the last few years.