• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just started collecting Three weeks ago
1 1

50 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2022 at 11:35 AM, MAR1979 said:
On 7/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, KirbyTown said:

sounds like reddit

That would be my guess. 

Playing Devil's Advocate for moment; on a sub-reddit jumping in as a new collector and displaying 50K+ worth of Key graded comics might come off as humble bragging or worse.  Here it plays much better. Still probably better to ease in?

P.S. Once again based on topic title very refreshing NOT to see ASM361, X-Men (1991) #1,#4 and Spawn #1

His first 5 posts were essentially "i'm brand new and don't know anything about comics but I have these 5 figure keys" and "I've spent $60k on books and am looking to spend that much on an AF15".  Then there was the "I lost $700k" comment

It's really about knowing the audience.  When subs like "antiwork" and "workreform" are hugely popular, there are A LOT of people on reddit who are just getting by.  Flippantly acknowledging zero knowledge in books and then displaying 5-6 figures worth of it right off the bat isn't going to sit well with people.  Posts about huge books will go over a lot better in a place like the CGC Boards where the community is accustomed to seeing and hearing about big books all the time.  Nevermind the fact that we constantly share our key acquisitions.  Just look at the number of "fan club" posts in the golden/silver/bronze age sections.

Edited by ExNihilo

On 7/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, ExNihilo said:

first 5 posts were essentially "i'm brand new and don't know anything about comics but I have these 5 figure keys" and "I've spent $60k on books and am looking to spend that much on an AF15".  Then there was the "I lost $700k" comment

It's really about knowing the audience.  When subs like "antiwork" and "workreform" are hugely popular, there are A LOT of people on reddit who are just getting by.  Flippantly acknowledging zero knowledge in books and then displaying 5-6 figures worth of it right off the bat isn't going to sit well with people.  Posts about huge books will go over a lot better in a place like the CGC Boards where the community is accustomed to seeing and hearing about big books all the time.  Nevermind the fact that we constantly share our key acquisitions.  Just look at the number of "fan club" posts in the golden/silver/bronze age sections.

'zactly

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, ExNihilo said:

His first 5 posts were essentially "i'm brand new and don't know anything about comics but I have these 5 figure keys" and "I've spent $60k on books and am looking to spend that much on an AF15".  Then there was the "I lost $700k" comment

If you read that post you’ve noticed that I’ve never was brought finance until someone suggested that I would be offering a bankruptcy sale on my very first post in Hulk 8.0.

I knew nothing about comics but I knew that book was sought after so I started with that particular book and was excited to share my entry into the collecting world. 

I was not aware that obtaining that book was against the process of collecting and someone with funds were not allowed to enter the comic world from the response of many lol.

At the end of the day I’m still having a blast collecting and who cares if I upset people cause I obtained a book or two. 

Edited by nDemik

On 7/21/2022 at 5:54 PM, nDemik said:

If you read that post you’ve noticed that I’ve never was brought finance until someone suggested that I would be offering a bankruptcy sale on my very first post in Hulk 8.0.

I knew nothing about comics but I knew that book was sought after so I started with that particular book and was excited to share my entry into the collecting world. 

I was not aware that obtaining that book was against the process of collecting and someone with funds were not allowed to enter the comic world from the response of many lol.

At the end of the day I’m still having a blast collecting and who cares if I upset people cause I obtained a book or two. 

The perception to the folks there probably came off as humble bragging if not out right bragging.   While on these forums those same books while very cool are "old hat".  Here it might take an Action 1, Detective 27, Marvel Comics 1, Whiz 2 or possibly a More Fun 52, All-Star 8 or Captain America Comics 1 level book to even come close to those sub-reddit reactions. 

5-6 years back on a old film type forum I mentioned I had picked up what at the time was a $649 Blu-ray transport.  The comments i received bled venom about me being some wealthy  braggart.  The same type mention on an Audio/Video-file forum the comments pitied me for only going for entry level gear. 

All boils down to, as @ExNihilomentioned, "Know thy audience".

P.S.  that $649 player became sought after a few year later and for while commanded $1500-$1800 used.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/21/2022 at 3:10 PM, MAR1979 said:

The perception to the folks there probably came off as humble bragging if not out right bragging.   While on these forums those same books while very cool are "old hat".  Here it might take an Action 1, Detective 27, Marvel Comics 1, Whiz 2 or possibly a More Fun 52, All-Star 8 or Captain America Comics 1 level book to even come close to those sub-reddit reactions. 

5-6 years back on a old film type forum I mentioned I had picked up what at the time was a $649 Blu-ray transport.  The comments i received bled venom about me being some wealthy  braggart.  The same type mention on an Audio/Video-file forum the comments pitied me for only going for entry level gear. 

All boils down to, as @ExNihilomentioned, "Know thy audience".

P.S.  that $649 player became sought after a few year later and for while commanded $1500-$1800 used.

My first car was in 1985 (I was 19 and in the Navy ),  a used chevy cavalier with 60 K miles on it...my cousins thought it was fancy and that I was rich...but my friends mocked me because it took me 12 seconds to go from 0-60....wish they had a Chevy Cavalier suppoprt group back then

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/21/2022 at 4:54 PM, nDemik said:

Hey, don't let the negative reactions bring you down. The questions I asked were because I was genuinely curious. I collected when I was a teenager with goals to get all the Amazing Spider-Man and Avengers comics, but realistically had no chance. When I started back 25 years later it was a different story, and I completed them both within 3 years of having zero comics. And then I really went crazy buying stuff. This hobby needs people willing to spend money. Whether somebody looks at it as an investment or not, the fact is that they have become a valuable commodity. I would hate to total up all I've spent on comics since 2010, but it's been fun. I'm 55 now and started losing the passion last year so I've been selling them off, and it has been very rewarding so far. I still have thousands of comics left that sell from $50-1500, so who knows what I'll end up with. Already bought a 1981 Corvette and 1980 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car with comic money within the first month of selling. It might be discouraging when you deal with the naysayers, but you're doing this for you. A lot of the negativity is plain old jealousy