• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spiderman 238 Canadian Price Variant Tattooz question
2 2

2 posts in this topic

I have a copy of the Canadian Price Variant of Amazing Spiderman 238 but there is no "tattooz" in the back. I have read that some of the CPVs were sold without the Tattooz. I was wondering how a user can tell whether the copy they have is a "never had a tattooz" versus "tattooz missing" and whether all "tattooz missing" get a green label or whether they can get a blue label? 

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message. Copies of Amazing Spider-Man #238 were manufactured with a free “Tattooz” sample & insert. To denote this, we initially had the Key Comments for the label simply say: “Tattooz inside”.

A problem arose when copies were submitted that were missing the Tattooz. We would indicate in the “label text” portion of the label “TATTOOZ MISSING”. However, some people were confused because despite what the label text said, the Key Comment still read “Tattooz inside.” They did not understand that the Key Comment was meant for the book in general, while the label text was meant for that specific copy.

To make it more clear and less confusing, we updated the Key Comment on the book to read ”Manufactured with tattooz insert & sample” so that people would hopefully no longer be confused about a label saying both “Tattooz inside” as well as “TATTOOZ MISSING”.

For any copy that CGC has ever graded, if the tattooz are missing, it will specifically state so in the label text and also be marked as "INCOMPLETE".

If the label text makes no mention of the tattooz, and the label does not say "INCOMPLETE", that means the Tattooz ARE present.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!