• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in. - Crime SuspenStories #19
4 4

19 posts in this topic

IDK if that "KC" written on the cover will be considered a distributors mark or what. I haven't come across that before. I can imagine it getting a Qualified grade, being considered a significant defect or being deemed acceptable. My guess is that tear on the back cover is going to relegate this to 5.0±0.5 despite the fact that the rest of the book (minus the possible marker issue) looks better than that.

The "KC" is absolutely, positively, a distributor mark (and it will not be regarded as a defect).  Over the years, I've owned several Atomic Age comics with KC arrival dates.  Two CGC-certified examples are shown below.  The books from this particular find were generally in pretty nice condition.  The CSS #19 should be awarded a Universal Grade and encapsulated with a blue label.  A grade of 5.0 VG/FN sounds about right, considering the color-breaking subscription-type crease on the front cover, the tear at the bottom edge of the back cover, and the moderate amount of corner/edge wear.  A better-than-average copy, for sure!  (thumbsu

919308895_TOU06-75.thumb.jpg.6e6b8ab4a1ea426fc8e1d9eafb9b1dc0.jpg  450207496_TOU12-75.thumb.jpg.27aa9c24d3ffd3142635e58ca091b96d.jpg  804820839_TOU15-70.thumb.jpg.23d7836d9a66812a21153790ef5e3f9c.jpg

Edited by zzutak

On 8/5/2022 at 8:41 AM, scburdet said:

Looks pretty damn sharp to me. The CGC Cert has "Key Comments: Used in SOTI". Am I dumb? Should I know what that means?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent

Many comic books were mentioned in the SOTI book and during the congressional inquiry. This must have been one of the comic books.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:53 PM, Grendel72 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent

Many comic books were mentioned in the SOTI book and during the congressional inquiry. This must have been one of the comic books.

Here's what Wertham had to say about this book (from p. 235 of SOTI):

"Comic books direct children's interest not toward the right, but toward the wrong. In many stories the criminal wins to the very end, and you see the man who has murdered his wife triumphantly pouring the rest of the poison into the sink in the last picture. "