• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random observations about Bronze-Age Batman
1 1

30 posts in this topic

For someone who has never collected Batman, nor read much Batman (although I've always loved the movies go figure), how readable is the average late 60s and 70s era Batman story? I know many/most/(all?) of the "must read" story lines often cited are from the 80s and later, I don't see anyone speak much about earlier Bat stuff. I've considered starting a low grade collection of earlier Batman, but I want to be able to enjoy reading them. I don't want to collect them just for the art, as incredible as some of it is.

so....verdict?

On 6/26/2022 at 11:21 PM, speedcake said:

For someone who has never collected Batman, nor read much Batman (although I've always loved the movies go figure), how readable is the average late 60s and 70s era Batman story? I know many/most/(all?) of the "must read" story lines often cited are from the 80s and later, I don't see anyone speak much about earlier Bat stuff. I've considered starting a low grade collection of earlier Batman, but I want to be able to enjoy reading them. I don't want to collect them just for the art, as incredible as some of it is.

so....verdict?

I love these books, but even I'll admit it's a bit of a mixed bag. There are some great one offs, and some great runs, that give us the likes of modern Joker, modern Two-Face, Ra's and Talia Al Ghul, and Man-Bat. You can't go wrong with the Denny O'Neil stories - the Frank Robbins stories, less so. That's just my opinion though. If you're interested in Adams' art in particular, you can always pick up the TPBs of his collected Bronze-Age Batman works, and only go for the stories which are of interest to you.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:21 PM, speedcake said:

so....verdict?

Some hits and some big misses.  Late 1960s isn't really good at all except for historical interest as a bridge from the Adam West TV show era to the much better 1970s stuff.  Once 1970 rolls around, as noted above, you'll have 1 issue written by Denny O'Neil which will be at least readable, and occasionally great, followed by a couple of issues written by Frank Robbins which will sometimes be ok but often marred by gimmicky plots and/or corny dialogue.  This pattern continues until 1974 when Archie Goodwin becomes the editor and often the writer of Detective Comics, and #437-443 are well worth seeking out.  Then a mid-1970s dry spell until the Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers run arrives in Detective #469-476, some of the most enjoyable stories of the decade.  Though there is some occasional nice art in the late 1970s from Michael Golden and Walt Simonson, nothing really stands out story-wise for the rest of the decade.

@speedcake I'd have too agree with @Kripsys99.  It's a mixed bag on the reading front but for me they lean in the direction of being worth it.  Having read from about '78 till '91 I also never read a single issue of Batman, I was a Marvel guy, shame on me.  When I got back into comics (2011) I went back and read all the Batman books.  Nothing is really terrible.  The Brave and the Bold offer some fun reads, especially anything with Deadman.  If your taste is in the vein of mystery and horror aim for stories by O'Neil and Wein, pure fun.  

On 6/27/2022 at 11:25 AM, speedcake said:

Wow thanks for the advice! I would definitely be interested in any stories dealing with the occult, mobsters, or the supernatural/horror. 

so I’ve got some starting points to look for. 

Brave and the Bold #79.  Winner of the best stand-alone comic story for that year by whatever industry award standard was in place at the time.  In my opinion, this is the book that started the Adams run and not Tec 395.  Very undervalued as well.