• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got my two 9.6s back - Please discuss the defects shown on back covers

5 posts in this topic

OK, I started a previous thread where I was whining about receiving 9.6s without grader's notes. Please let's put that aside as I would like to receive your thoughts and expertise on the only defects I can spot which are on the back covers. These books were pressed by CCS prior to grading. The first photos is Savage She Hulk #1 and this one is really bothering me. I now realize I need to take photos prior to submitting my comics. There appears to be something that looks like an ink smudge maybe left by fingerprint? 100% definitely wasn't there prior to submission. Also there appears to be a hair line scratch on the interior of the case near the ink smudge? 

The second set of photos is for the X-Men #106 that show two indentations/creases near both staples which do not break color. Should these have come out during a pressing? Please note that's my shadow in the first picture and not a discoloration on the book. 

I sincerely appreciate any and all thoughts. Thank you! 

20220624_162203(0).jpg

20220624_162158.jpg

20220624_161701.jpg

20220624_161741.jpg

Edited by O Doyle Rules

The first book has ink transfer. It was most likely there when you sent in the book. It can be erased off the book but requires some extra time to do so. 

The second book looks like it has damage post-pressing. Maybe when they were trying to put the wedge on the book and fit it into the inner well. I say looks to, as those types of defects could easily be missed in the pressing process or re-introduced if the cover was forced open too wide. 

On 6/24/2022 at 5:59 PM, joeypost said:

The first book has ink transfer. It was most likely there when you sent in the book. It can be erased off the book but requires some extra time to do so. 

The second book looks like it has damage post-pressing. Maybe when they were trying to put the wedge on the book and fit it into the inner well. I say looks to, as those types of defects could easily be missed in the pressing process or re-introduced if the cover was forced open too wide. 

I could have missed the ink transfer, but I would have bet money it was not there. My jaw just dropped when i seen it. On the X-Men, I very easily could have missed them initially. Can they be pressed out now? Assuming there is nothing else wrong, odds of getting these books to 9.8s if they were re-pressed? Thanks! 

On 6/25/2022 at 7:08 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I could have missed the ink transfer, but I would have bet money it was not there. My jaw just dropped when i seen it. On the X-Men, I very easily could have missed them initially. Can they be pressed out now? Assuming there is nothing else wrong, odds of getting these books to 9.8s if they were re-pressed? Thanks! 

They can be greatly improved.