• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you find sales/print run information for variants and alternate printings?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Curious, where do y’all find print run/copies ordered numbers for modern comics in 2021? I find copies ordered for a specific issue on comicchron but I can’t find any 2nd, 3rd or 4th print orders. The examples I’m looking for is for High Republic comics. Comicchron just shows how many of issue 1 or issue 2 for instance but I’d like to see the alternate printings.

It’s actually pretty simple if you have a job in the comic publishing side of Marvel.  Just pull up the issue in your work browser and look up the internal data you need.

also fairly simple to find out if you work for the actual printer of said comics.

otherwise, nearly impossible to know for major comic companies, occasionally possible for smaller companies if they are being transparent and announce it.

so be weary of people claiming to know specific print runs, but in most cases you can make some logical deductions.  

also look for caveats (like using diamond as distributor, do all countries do that? How would I even know about sales in other countries?).

Seems like a lot of people will try to come up with formulas to figure out how many of a certain variant exist based on whatever criteria they choose but it really all comes down to in some cases an educated, or  perhaps a somewhat logical guess. In other cases, it's a less educated guess and even in some cases, they are just pulling numbers out of their posterior.

The only ones who truly know are industry insiders.