• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Color Touch

15 posts in this topic

What's the best way to remove the color touch and hopefully get a blue label?  I only see one spot (right below "AUG") and wonder what would happen if that green coloring were black or blue pen?  Then it wouldn't be considered restoration, and the hit to the grade might not be much?  It was cleaned and pressed before submission, so probably not a lot of room to increase the grade by pressing.

Any thoughts?

GL1.thumb.jpg.5273726cc33af7d49f3fc6ce160be238.jpg

GL1 zoom.jpg

On 6/27/2022 at 1:51 PM, johnb102 said:

What's the best way to remove the color touch and hopefully get a blue label?  I only see one spot (right below "AUG") and wonder what would happen if that green coloring were black or blue pen?  Then it wouldn't be considered restoration, and the hit to the grade might not be much?  It was cleaned and pressed before submission, so probably not a lot of room to increase the grade by pressing.

Any thoughts?

GL1.thumb.jpg.5273726cc33af7d49f3fc6ce160be238.jpg

GL1 zoom.jpg

Not a big fan of the scraping method...ugliness is imminent. Let your conscience be your guide... 

Edited by The Lions Den

Thanks.  I looked at it again and think there are actually two spots where I can see the green added. The second is just above the "N" in Green.  I guess there could be more, but those two are pretty obvious so I would think the others would also be easy to spot as well.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:44 PM, zzutak said:

Perhaps.  I suggest you also look closely at the spine.  And don't restrict your search to hits of green.  Hits of black are quite common.  There's a reason CGC included the descriptor "full top".  (thumbsu

Agreed. Beyond the green ink on that crease, the left side of the DC logo is a suspicious mess. I'm also uncertain about several spots of yellow, although those might just be artifacts of wear and lighting. Regardless, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be even a little happy with what would be left after CT removal here...

I'm not recommending you actually do this, but a line with a black 'sharpie' drawn directly over the existing green "color touch" might appear to be a generic defacement and not resto.   Any rules of thumb on this idea?

On 6/27/2022 at 12:45 PM, grebal said:

I'm not recommending you actually do this, but a line with a black 'sharpie' drawn directly over the existing green "color touch" might appear to be a generic defacement and not resto.   Any rules of thumb on this idea?

Just make sure there is lots of black ink bleed through to hide any suggestion of previous color touch!                         :jokealert:

On 6/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, johnb102 said:

Any thoughts?

Any color touch removal, as previously mentioned, is going to involve damaging the comic. Always puzzles me why people see this (scraping away part of the cover in the hope of changing the label from purple to blue) as an improvement. If you plan to keep this comic, I wouldn't do anything. If your plan is to sell this comic, I think you will find that the combination of resto removal/grading fees combined with the drop in value (on the assumption that any blue label for this book will almost assuredly be a lower grade) probably equals the amount you would get for this comic now if you resold it, purple label and all. 

As Zzutak said, if you really want a GL #1 CGC 3.5 with a Blue label the best plan is probably to sell this one and keep the funds for when an unrestored copy in the same grade next comes along.

My Hulk 181 came back to me a few years ago when I first submitted it to CGC as 6.5 C-1 with small amount of color touch. I sent it in about two years ago for restoration removal and it came back same grade (6.5) Blue Label so that was a success story I can point to. It's just a heck of a long wait now if you sent to CCS. 

On 6/27/2022 at 6:35 PM, rexinnih said:

My Hulk 181 came back to me a few years ago when I first submitted it to CGC as 6.5 C-1 with small amount of color touch. I sent it in about two years ago for restoration removal and it came back same grade (6.5) Blue Label so that was a success story I can point to. It's just a heck of a long wait now if you sent to CCS. 

Congrats. How'd it look after?