• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In light of the DKR #1 sale, does Higgins' color cover of Watchmen #1 become any more desirable?
2 2

5 posts in this topic

In light of the DKR #1 sale, does Higgins' color cover of Watchmen #1 become any more desirable?

Granted their are a lot of differences: the Watchmen #1 cover exists as a pencil and ink piece, we know the color version of Watchmen #1 is Higgins' color/airbrush work over Gibbons' printed bluelines, and the DKR #1 cover actually features a character. 

This is probably apples and oranges, but it popped in my head over the past week.
Edited by allyz

I think that cover color guide is already very valuable, but, no, I don’t think the DKR 1 cover art selling for $2.4 million does anything to enhance or detract from its value. Color guides in general are going up as more and more people recognize them as part of the production process for their favorite comics.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:10 AM, allyz said:

Granted their are a lot of differences: the Watchmen #1 cover exists as a pencil and ink piece, we know the color version of Watchmen #1 is Higgins' color/airbrush work over Gibbons' printed bluelines, and the DKR #1 cover actually features a character. 

This is probably apples and oranges, but it popped in my head over the past week.

There's only just this DKR #1 cover as the original piece and, as you said, there's pencil and ink cover for Watchmen #1 standing as the original. 

That said, collectors will use just about any comparable, any justification, any rationalization, to bid on something they want. 

In this case, though, the original existing in this universe places a pretty hard cap on the color guide's valuation in comparison to it. 

On 6/28/2022 at 11:10 AM, allyz said:

I think they're apples to oranges.  However, Bechara picked up the ASM 252 cover color guide at Heroescon this weekend and that would be a much better comparison, if he decides to sell it.