• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relative scarcity of Action Comics 1-20?

57 posts in this topic

I'm considering going for a run of Action 10-20, but in searching the web, even going back to auctions from 2002, it seems that these issues are very hard to come by- even moreso than issues 1-6, which seem to come up somewhat regularly. I don't think I've EVER seen #12 or 14 for sale.

Are these issues truly difficult to locate? Or have I not been looking in the right places?

They are all difficult to locate but the same restored issues of 1-6 do seem to rotate around. You could try Neat Stuff Collectibles who has some very low grade copies of 1-10 they have been trying to pawn off at a very high price. If you could talk them down a bit that would be a good start.

The Superman covers from 11-20 do seem to make the rounds as well but they are all pretty rare, especially without restoration.

Ed

yeah, I've seen those Neat Stuff actions pop up a few times. That company in general seems to overprice everything. Besides, 1-9 will have to wait until I nail down 10-20!

I have found a #15 in VG for $1100 that I'm considering, but was hoping to collect the run in a Good range.

I'm considering going for a run of Action 10-20, but in searching the web, even going back to auctions from 2002, it seems that these issues are very hard to come by- even moreso than issues 1-6, which seem to come up somewhat regularly. I don't think I've EVER seen #12 or 14 for sale.

Are these issues truly difficult to locate? Or have I not been looking in the right places?

Welcome to the boards! yay.gif

Action #10-20 are out there, but yes, real tough to find. Along the lines of what you say, I've found #11-15 to be much harder than #10 & #16-20, with #12 & #13 probably the toughest. Be prepared to drop a serious amount of dough, as everyone else who collects them is similarly waiting for them to show up, and they are throw-out-the-guide books when they do surface. I believe there's a forum member who has a #12 in CGC 2.0 for $2K on their site? which is 4x guide. That may well be the toughest book of the run (I'd say #14 is slightly easier). Of course, if you do find an affordable #12 somewhere, I'd recommend you step aside and let someone else (for instance, a favorite co-worker) pick it up. thumbsup2.gif

metropoliscomics has a #15 graded 3.0 with tape. Also a 1.7 copy of #20. Hmmm 1.7? For the book that's too good for a 1.5 but several defects disqualify it from 1.8 consideration.

Good luck with your search for 10-20. In my opinion, #10, 12, 13, & 14 will be the hardest to find. investmentcollectibles.com does have #12 cgc graded 2.0.

I have for Actions the Zatara Covers in my sights, so yeah. Scarce indeedy. A satifactory 14 for a decent price is yet to be had. Metropolis has(d?) 2 superman 14's but...well, I don't have the scratch for one of those yet.

investmentcollectibles.com does have #12 cgc graded 2.0.

Right, that's the one I was thinking of. Looks like they lowered it to $1900, sweet!

$1900? Hmmm if that is a good price for a 2.0 then I need to rethink my strategy of Collecting Zatara Cover Actions. Darn

metropoliscomics has a #15 graded 3.0 with tape. Also a 1.7 copy of #20. Hmmm 1.7? For the book that's too good for a 1.5 but several defects disqualify it from 1.8 consideration.

Good luck with your search for 10-20. In my opinion, #10, 12, 13, & 14 will be the hardest to find. investmentcollectibles.com does have #12 cgc graded 2.0.

I've seen the metropolis #15 in person - I'm not an expert grader by any means, but if that's a 3.0 then I'm Spartacus.

They have 2 1.7's actually, but both are falling apart.

I have for Actions the Zatara Covers in my sights, so yeah. Scarce indeedy. A satifactory 14 for a decent price is yet to be had. Metropolis has(d?) 2 superman 14's but...well, I don't have the scratch for one of those yet.

one of them is just the FC and superman story, the other is high grade

(hmm, maybe I do want them in VG.....)