• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relative scarcity of Action Comics 1-20?

57 posts in this topic

I'm not an expert grader by any means, but if that's a 3.0 then I'm Spartacus.

No, I'M Spartacus!

Action is a great title to collect. I collect the war covers, but am often tempted by the earlier issues. Good luck with your quest. thumbsup2.gif

Action is a great title to collect. I collect the war covers, but am often tempted by the earlier issues. Good luck with your quest. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, the war covers are fantastic. I'm just finishing up my run of them, down to 39, 40, 43, and slap-a-jap! I actually like all the Actions up to around the mid 60's, where they start to get goofy.

I'm considering going for a run of Action 10-20, but in searching the web, even going back to auctions from 2002, it seems that these issues are very hard to come by- even moreso than issues 1-6, which seem to come up somewhat regularly. I don't think I've EVER seen #12 or 14 for sale.

Are these issues truly difficult to locate? Or have I not been looking in the right places?

They are out there.

I bought a 14, blue label 3.5 off ebay a little over a year ago. I think Comgeek was the seller. Off the top of my head, I paid just under $1K for it, pretty much full guide, but the exact price will be on GPA. I'll try and scan it in the next few days.

Number 12 was the first GA book I ever bought, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. It would slab around 3.5 and I'm pretty sure it's resto free (bought from a good seller). That probably came in around $600 at the time. This issue seems to come up very rarely.

If you look at the census numbers, 12 is (or was last time I looked) the least submitted book with only a few unrestored. 14 is about the 2nd or 3rd least submitted.

If you're looking for a higher grade copy (around Fine!) don't hold your breath, but otherwise keep patient and you'll eventually get lucky.

I actually owned that Action 2 but sold it earlier this year. I was hoping to buy it back but I guess that won't be happening now frown.gif. It actually would be a really nice looking copy if not for all the crud on the front cover.

Well, there goes the Action #12, out of my grubby little fingers.

I've noticed that "icingdeath" is the high bidder so far, this guy doesn't fool around when it comes to buying Action Comics on eBay, he's won many eBay auctions for multiple issues of the Action run, I know he's outbid me quite a few times, does anyone know who he is ? is he a board member ? he seems to have very deep pockets..

no clue.

I'm actually happy I'm not winning this one. I don't love the idea of paying that kind of money for something sight unseen. The grade on that book could be anywhere from a G to a VG-. And there's always a good chance that a dealer coould have it for guide prices...

It's hard to find Unrestored copies these days at a fair price. Right now their's a #3 9.0 Restored for a asking price of over $17,400 with color touch, pieces added, cleaned, and trimmed. A #7 Raw with extensive restoration for $3995 he's been trying to sell this forever. A #29 7.5 Restored with glue on the spine for $5000