• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color touch removed?
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Just won a Batman 232, finally - I've been watching for a decent enough price on this book, and I actually was hoping to get it in a 6.5 because I have a couple of other Batman/Neal Adams keys in a 6.5. I literally just won the auction less than an hour ago, so I obviously don't have the book in hand yet. But I do have the listing picture, and I was just curious - does this book look like a case of color touch removed? I ask because the main flaws in the book look like divots in the black line that runs down the spine, which is consistent with other books I've see where there was color touch removed. And the black line spine is a common color touch area on this and other books.

I don't care at all if it is - I know I bought a 6.5 and I'm actually happy overall how the book presents in that grade. I'm really just more curious than anything if people who know better than I can tell if it looks like a color touch removed copy.

Here's the book:

168772221_batman232.thumb.jpg.f325d64ac66eb0166b27c669b4e6b67d.jpg

And here the spine:

786790680_batman232spine.jpg.baa676bf4568b4d23da6e4d6418f3c6c.jpg

Edited by Jesse-Lee

Definitely a CTR copy - book looks really nice aside from that issue, which is obviously why it's a 6.5. Now that I have it in hand, I'm still 100% happy with my purchase, and that I now have matched-grade copies of Bats 232, 244 and 251.

IMG_5381.thumb.JPG.aec0cac4ad74f3ee882db8305558414b.JPG

IMG_5382.thumb.JPG.df42091b6832d4c1d05a7362b296b2c9.JPG

On 7/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, PovertyRow said:

Indeed CT removal! 

On 7/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, Kevin76 said:

definitely a CT removal

On 7/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, The Lions Den said:

Yes, this is exactly what I'd expect to see...

What action was actually performed here and can it only succeed when no bleed-through is present? Thanks,

On 7/11/2022 at 2:10 PM, KirbyTown said:

What action was actually performed here and can it only succeed when no bleed-through is present? Thanks,

Others have much more experience and can answer better, but my understanding in a case like this is that the CT-affected area is basically "scraped" away until the CT is no longer present.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, KirbyTown said:

I believe that in this case the CT was amateur, and did bleed through.  I’m thinking there’s a small hole through the cover now.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, KirbyTown said:

What action was actually performed here, and can it only succeed when no bleed-through is present? Thanks,

From what I've seen, the removal is often performed with a tool that looks like a dental pick, and the level of "success" is in the eye of the beholder.  

And while this particular example isn't as traumatizing as some of the resto removal jobs I've seen, it's still an invasive process that causes permanent damage to the paper, regardless of bleed through...

Thanks for the responses! I should clarify that by success I meant receiving a blue label for the destructive work rather than a restored label. I assumed that any remaining bleed would still communicate intent to a grader, which seems to be the difference between color touch and merely a bit of marker on the cover.

Edited by KirbyTown
meant restored label, not qualified

On 7/11/2022 at 10:09 PM, KirbyTown said:

Thanks for the responses! I should clarify that by success I meant receiving a blue label for the destructive work rather than a restored label. I assumed that any remaining bleed would still communicate intent to a grader, which seems to be the difference between color touch and merely a bit of marker on the cover.

You're correct in using the word "intent" to describe the difference...that's actually what the whole thing hinges upon... :foryou: