• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The amazing Spider-Man the chameleon strikes

65 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, Jmillar31 said:

Ok so when I took it to my local comic book store he tried to research the exact copy I had but could not find it anywhere. He said based on the condition and smell he believes it to not be an original. He said he was very puzzled as well. We're still currently looking because I refuse to find a copy to compare it to. Again I don't really have THAT much free time with my young kids but I do what I can. He told me the best way to figure out if it's the real deal is to send it in to be graded. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that especially considering idk what it is 

It's probably just a counterfeit piece of garbage, which means there's no record of anything official to compare it to.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:23 AM, Jmillar31 said:

Ok so when I took it to my local comic book store he tried to research the exact copy I had but could not find it anywhere. He said based on the condition and smell he believes it to not be an original. He said he was very puzzled as well. We're still currently looking because I refuse to find a copy to compare it to. Again I don't really have THAT much free time with my young kids but I do what I can. He told me the best way to figure out if it's the real deal is to send it in to be graded. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that especially considering idk what it is 

Any experianced collector/dealer could tell the difference with the paper. I have a hard time believing any store owner told you to submit it.  They may not be able to tell you exactly when it was reprinted, but it's an obvious reprint.  There is no way you took this to multiple stores and were told to submit it.  Spend time with your kids and stop wasting everybody elses.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:36 PM, shadroch said:

Any experianced collector/dealer could tell the difference with the paper. I have a hard time believing any store owner told you to submit it.  They may not be able to tell you exactly when it was reprinted, but it's an obvious reprint.  There is no way you took this to multiple stores and were told to submit it.  Spend time with your kids and stop wasting everybody elses.

And it's people like you that make others not what opinions. How am I wasting anyones time? I didn't ask you to comment on here? Like I don't understand the rudeness!?! That IS what I was told. They said that's a way to find out. 

On 7/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, PlutoX said:

You need thicker skin if you're going to hang here. Not sure why you're so defensive when you're getting excellent advice.

See the thing is, I truly appreciate the advice. And you're right....  I won't hang here. I wanted advice, not rude comments. I wasn't rude at all to anyone. Just trying to figure this out is all. But thanks everyone, I won't be returning. Took a lot of courage with my anxiety to even come on here. Oh well. 

On 7/6/2022 at 11:29 AM, Lazyboy said:

lol What? How the :censored: do you think this thing is even close to 9.9? The grade would still be very nice for an original ASM 1, but it's obviously not one of those.

I agree with you that it doesn't currently look like a fantasy grade, nor may it actually press up to one, but by using "creating" I was implying that CGC has...great power of grading discretion...and in the face of an unprecedented marketing opportunity they might decide to...be discretionary... 😈

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/6/2022 at 11:09 AM, Jmillar31 said:

See the thing is, I truly appreciate the advice. And you're right....  I won't hang here. I wanted advice, not rude comments. I wasn't rude at all to anyone. Just trying to figure this out is all. But thanks everyone, I won't be returning. Took a lot of courage with my anxiety to even come on here. Oh well. 

To be fair, the boards are harder on new users.  I think it's a combination of having seen the same question many times before, seeing new users come in here with hopes of striking it rich, and having a number of people with not necessarily the best of intentions sign up to shill something.  I imagine some boardies just roll their eyes and think "not this again".  What might be logical to us isn't necessarily logical to others.  Of course, there are also a few trolls (the previous responder being one of them).  The boards are a great place for answers, you just gotta get over that initial hump and recognize certain boardies have certain personalities.  Some are going to be more blunt and straight forward, others are going to sugar coat things.

On 7/5/2022 at 7:10 PM, SOTIcollector said:

It’s clear that what you pictured is a reproduction of the cover to Amazing Spider-man #1.  

I have collected comics for decades, and I have seen stories very similar to this many times.  They typically fall into one of these categories:

1) An inexperienced collector finds something that they think might be a high dollar book.  The book turns out to be a reprint or facsimile that is not a high dollar book.

2) A collector with some experience creates or obtains a facsímile of a high dollar book.  They pose as an inexperienced collector asking about the value of the book, in hopes that somebody will be fooled and offer a lot of money for their fake.

NOT saying this guy is doing that, but I have always found it amusing the way a particular breed of scam artists frame their stories, often trying to make the mark feel as if they're the one cheating the poor rube who "doesn't know what he has".   Like... "Found these here paintings signed by some guy named 'Pick-a-so'".  

On 7/6/2022 at 5:09 PM, shadroch said:

The OP claims he turned down $43,000 because he wasn't sure it was real.  Honestly like that will be sorely missed here. 

She* not he. And again.... I have proof of the email. There's no reason for me to lie. The fact that you're STILL commenting shows a lot. 

On 7/6/2022 at 5:11 PM, Jmillar31 said:

She* not he. And again.... I have proof of the email. There's no reason for me to lie. The fact that you're STILL commenting shows a lot. 

And I said 45 not 43 👍

On 7/6/2022 at 5:27 PM, shadroch said:

The fact you are still here speaks volumes.  Nothing ruins a dramatic diva like exit more than failing to follow thru on it.

Na I put on the balls that I apparently needed to have. Got my thick skin on. No reason to let YOU get under it especially not over a comic. I hope you have a wonderful day!

On 7/6/2022 at 4:09 PM, shadroch said:

The OP claims he turned down $43,000 because he wasn't sure it was real.  Honestly like that will be sorely missed here. 

Wait, are you saying there's somebody out there who knows less about comics than the OP?

Independent of what anyone else thinks in this thread...

IF the OP (original poster) was truly offered $43K and turned it down... There's really only one course of action, because the OP thinks it MIGHT be worth more than that:

No need to listen to internet strangers who might be nice or mean, smart or dumb, helpful or sarcastic, just SUBMIT the book to CGC directly ASAP.  Its worth a couple hundred bucks (it'll be more if it turns out to be real) to give yourself peace of mind and just to be sure about what you have. If you're unsure of the process, call CGC customer service directly, tell them what you think you have them walk you through the process.  Literally anything else you do at this point will be construed the wrong way by people here, because there's no other reasonable course of action if you think its real.

To the OP: people here are extremely wary of this type of situation, many many many people come here hoping to play dumb and trick folks into making them private offers for allegedly key issues.  That may or may not be the case you, and it doesn't really matter.  The best course of action if you are not convinced it is fake is to submit it.

Side note:  IF you think you want to ask a few more people in person, take it to comic book stores, and VIDEO tape them (with their consent) commenting on whether they think it is real.

On 7/6/2022 at 2:44 PM, Lazyboy said:

Wait, are you saying there's somebody out there who knows less about comics than the OP?

No, I'm saying the OP said someone offered it. 

OP says they found a rare comic

OP says multiple stores couldn't tell if it was real and said it needed to be certified.

OP says someone offered $40,000 plus for it.

OP says they have the emails to prove it. 

On 7/6/2022 at 3:25 PM, revat said:

IF the OP (original poster) was truly offered $43K and turned it down... There's really only one course of action, because the OP thinks it MIGHT be worth more than that:

No need to listen to internet strangers who might be nice or mean, smart or dumb, helpful or sarcastic, just SUBMIT the book to CGC directly ASAP.  Its worth a couple hundred bucks (it'll be more if it turns out to be real) to give yourself peace of mind and just to be sure about what you have. If you're unsure of the process, call CGC customer service directly, tell them what you think you have them walk you through the process.  Literally anything else you do at this point will be construed the wrong way by people here, because there's no other reasonable course of action if you think its real.

To the OP: people here are extremely wary of this type of situation, many many many people come here hoping to play dumb and trick folks into making them private offers for allegedly key issues.  That may or may not be the case you, and it doesn't really matter.  The best course of action if you are not convinced it is fake is to submit it.

Side note:  IF you think you want to ask a few more people in person, take it to comic book stores, and VIDEO tape them (with their consent) commenting on whether they think it is real.

Either it is a reprint or it is the only Spiderman 1 made with that back cover.   Why would you continue to encourage them that it might be an original?

On 7/6/2022 at 6:25 PM, revat said:

THANK YOU!  I appreciate you for talking to me like a human! I have no idea if it's fake or not that's why I came here just to get opinions but I got a little more than that! The world needs more people like you haha I think I'm just going to submit it. I mean what's the worse that could happen in that case? 

On 7/6/2022 at 3:32 PM, shadroch said:
On 7/6/2022 at 3:25 PM, revat said:

Expand  

Either it is a reprint or it is the only Spiderman 1 made with that back cover.   Why would you continue to encourage them that it might be an original?

I'm saying its moot if she has offer emails or not.  People here have given evidence of why they think its not real.  She's not into comics at all.  She has nothing to prove to us with or without emails and no reason to continue on these comic boards.  The only step to take is to get out entirely or submit, doesn't seem like she can let it go, so the other option is submit.  Get some peace of mind.  She can come back and shove it in faces of the haters later or slink off into the sunset and never think about comics (or these boards) again.