• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The amazing Spider-Man the chameleon strikes

65 posts in this topic

The good news is Spiderman 1s qualify for walk thru so you will have your answer in a few weeks.  The bad news is it will cost you a few grand.

Best of luck!

Edited by shadroch

why would she pay anything to submit to CGC before even posting pictures of the guts??!! …. LOL

there would be numerous tell tale signs of it not being an original

why would anyone settle on just posting the front and back cover pictures if they have access to a camera 

come on folks, I’ve seen better guidance in the Spare A Grade sub forum

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

Two things have just occurred to me:

1) Not sure if this is true for all books of that era, but every Silver Age book I have is approximately 6 7/8" wide.  The book measured appears to be about 6 3/4" and that's ignoring the fact that the measuring tape is off by about 1/8" on the left.

2) The image of the back cover looks really glossy.  Was the paper quality like that back in the day?  I'd expect Silver Age books to be duller.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:13 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

why would she pay anything to submit to CGC before even posting pictures of the guts??!! …. LOL

there would be numerous tell tale signs of it not being an original

why would anyone settle on just posting the front and back cover pictures if they have access to a camera 

come on folks, I’ve seen better guidance in the Spare A Grade sub forum

IMG_20220611_124514.jpg

IMG_20220611_124506.jpg

IMG_20220611_124449.jpg

IMG_20220611_124436.jpg

IMG_20220611_124421.jpg

IMG_20220611_124412.jpg

On 7/6/2022 at 5:35 PM, Jmillar31 said:

I think I'm just going to submit it. I mean what's the worse that could happen in that case? 

You throw away hundreds and hundreds of dollars for nothing.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:39 PM, Jmillar31 said:

Does it cost a lot to get them graded? Honest question because I've never done it before 

there's a cgc website with a lot of the details you might be interested in with regards to your decision to submit.

The submission price varies with the value of the comic you are submitting.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, revat said:

there's a cgc website with a lot of the details you might be interested in with regards to your decision to submit.

The submission price varies with the value of the comic you are submitting.

Thank you!

On 7/6/2022 at 6:39 PM, Jmillar31 said:

Does it cost a lot to get them graded? Honest question because I've never done it before 

Yes. Actually, if your comic were real, it would cost a few thousand dollars to submit it to CGC.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:26 PM, shadroch said:

Is the ad on the original full sized?

The ad on the original is not full sized - there's a lot of white border around it too.  

The ad that does greatly concern me is the one that says "Secret New Flex Method" (shown on above on this page) there's a lot of the right edge missing on the OP's copy.  

Comics of this vintage, no matter how well kept, all acquire a certain patina.  I don't see that patina here.

Edited by pemart1966

On 7/6/2022 at 6:27 PM, Jmillar31 said:

IMG_20220611_124514.jpg

the first picture alone and the cut off of the ad well before the gutter indicates a photocopy

centerfold staples would probably be a sure giveaway as well but I really don't need to see more to conclude it isn't an original, sorry

On 7/6/2022 at 8:07 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

the first picture alone and the cut off of the ad well before the gutter indicates a photocopy

centerfold staples would probably be a sure giveaway as well but I really don't need to see more to conclude it isn't an original, sorry

Thank you !

On 7/6/2022 at 4:59 PM, Jmillar31 said:

😳😱 I didn't know that 

If it were real, the book would qualify for Walkthrough.  If you assumed a value of $45k, you're looking at grading fees of $1350.  You'd also have to factor in shipping and insurance assuming $50k of coverage.

image.thumb.png.f7c465ded25317c78e3e0df1dc85bfd5.png

Hello and Welcome To The Boards!!!

What does the "Indicia" read/look like?

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Glossary:Indicia

I do not have an ASM 1 and my #2 is missing the bottom of the front cover, here is the Indicia from ASM 3, they should be very similar since they were only published four month's apart.

thumbnail.jpg

Also, here is the back, inside cover ad page from ASM 2, as you can see the ad is complete and not cut off on the edge as yours is.

thumbnail-1.jpg

ASM 1 also has a Full Page House Ad, "A Personal Message From Spider-Man", which I do not see in your copy.

0iriypa8aq491.webp

Edited by marvelmaniac

On 7/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Hello and Welcome To The Boards!!!

What does the "Indicia" read/look like?

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Glossary:Indicia

I do not have an ASM 1 and my #2 is missing the bottom of the front cover, here is the Indicia from ASM 3, they should be very similar since they were only published four month's apart.

thumbnail.jpg

Also, here is the back, inside cover ad page from ASM 2, as you can see the ad is complete and not cut off on the edge as yours is.

thumbnail-1.jpg

ASM 1 also has a Full Page House Ad, "A Personal Message From Spider-Man", which I do not see in your copy.

0iriypa8aq491.webp

The indicia is the one that would be expected on an original ASM #1.  From the evidence presented, it appears that somebody manufactured this book to be a very convincing fake.  I'm not saying it was the original poster; I have no way of knowing who created the fake, and the OP could even be a victim here.  Unless there is a convincing reprint that I've missed, it seems to me that this was a fake that somebody created with the intention of deceiving.

There was a time not long ago where the indicia was all you needed to determine authenticity for >99.9% of all comic books. 

There were a few exceptions of course.  Some that come to mind: 

• Some Famous First Editions with the covers removed could be differentiated only by their size
  • There were counterfeit copies of Cerebus #1 and TMNT #1
  • Some of the JC Penney reprints from the mid-90's omitted the "second printing" notation, so they can be differentiated primarily by their 90's-era ads.

But other than a few rare exceptions, you could typically look at the indicia and know just what you had.

Those days are gone permanently.  Now that high grade gold, silver, and bronze books can sell previously unthinkable prices, from tens of thousands to millions of dollars, counterfeiters are working their way into the hobby and that problem will only grow.  Counterfeiters need access to images of original comics, the ability to print on both glossy and newsprint stock, a market with novices as potential targets. greed and a willingness to screw over others to make a buck.   All of these things have become more accessible/prevalent in recent years.

It's safe to assume that any book with a value in the tens of thousands will be counterfeited in the coming years.  It's becoming more and more important for collectors of raw books to recognize other attributes that are much harder for a novice to discern:  paper quality, print resolution, specific book sizing, staple types, and so forth. And all of this will make it harder for seasoned collectors to explain to a novice how they can be certain that a book is a fake.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:03 AM, SOTIcollector said:

The indicia is the one that would be expected on an original ASM #1.  From the evidence presented, it appears that somebody manufactured this book to be a very convincing fake.  I'm not saying it was the original poster; I have no way of knowing who created the fake, and the OP could even be a victim here.  Unless there is a convincing reprint that I've missed, it seems to me that this was a fake that somebody created with the intention of deceiving.

There was a time not long ago where the indicia was all you needed to determine authenticity for >99.9% of all comic books. 

There were a few exceptions of course.  Some that come to mind: 

• Some Famous First Editions with the covers removed could be differentiated only by their size
  • There were counterfeit copies of Cerebus #1 and TMNT #1
  • Some of the JC Penney reprints from the mid-90's omitted the "second printing" notation, so they can be differentiated primarily by their 90's-era ads.

But other than a few rare exceptions, you could typically look at the indicia and know just what you had.

Those days are gone permanently.  Now that high grade gold, silver, and bronze books can sell previously unthinkable prices, from tens of thousands to millions of dollars, counterfeiters are working their way into the hobby and that problem will only grow.  Counterfeiters need access to images of original comics, the ability to print on both glossy and newsprint stock, a market with novices as potential targets. greed and a willingness to screw over others to make a buck.   All of these things have become more accessible/prevalent in recent years.

It's safe to assume that any book with a value in the tens of thousands will be counterfeited in the coming years.  It's becoming more and more important for collectors of raw books to recognize other attributes that are much harder for a novice to discern:  paper quality, print resolution, specific book sizing, staple types, and so forth. And all of this will make it harder for seasoned collectors to explain to a novice how they can be certain that a book is a fake.

Are you people ignoring the different back covers?  No one made this to be a good fake and put a different back cover on it.  There is zero doubt this is a modern reproduction. It's just a matter of figuring out which modern repro it is.  

On 7/6/2022 at 5:10 PM, ExNihilo said:

If it were real, the book would qualify for Walkthrough.  If you assumed a value of $45k, you're looking at grading fees of $1350.  You'd also have to factor in shipping and insurance assuming $50k of coverage.

image.thumb.png.f7c465ded25317c78e3e0df1dc85bfd5.png

Any book qualifies for walk through...but I wonder how CGC would handle the value difference if they deemed it a reprint

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 7/7/2022 at 11:15 AM, shadroch said:

Are you people ignoring the different back covers?  No one made this to be a good fake and put a different back cover on it.  There is zero doubt this is a modern reproduction. It's just a matter of figuring out which modern repro it is.  

What’s different about the back cover the op posted vs. the original in the image below?  (shrug)   

Amazing Spider-Man #1 back cover.png

On 7/7/2022 at 1:22 PM, steveinthecity said:

What’s different about the back cover the op posted vs. the original in the image below?  (shrug)   

"This cover has no red ink on the back (see "spray" card in suitcase, boy's shirt, the orange text in general)
The blue shade on the back is anachronistic."

Others have noted that the size of the ad is different, in particular that the original ad didn't take up the whole page like the Famous Artist Schools Studio ad below that has a tighter margin at the top and bottom. The facsimile isn't exactly like that but it's closer to one than the original.

image.thumb.jpg.4bbec53208ecc91d4f6591bb858e7121.jpg

If you're interested you can read the rest of my assessment on the first page.

(Thanks to Steve for info about how to multi-quote in the future!)

Edited by KirbyTown