• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The amazing Spider-Man the chameleon strikes

65 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2022 at 11:34 AM, KirbyTown said:

"This cover has no red ink on the back (see "spray" card in suitcase, boy's shirt, the orange text in general)
The blue shade on the back is anachronistic."

Others have noted that the size of the ad is different, in particular that the original ad didn't take up the whole page like the  ads that have a tighter margin at the top and bottom. The facsimile isn't exactly a full-page ad, but it's closer to one than the original.

If you're interested you can read the rest of my assessment on the first page.

Also, can anyone share how to quote a post from a different page if that can be done? Thanks

Thanks, I apparently wasn’t paying close enough attention. :frown:

To add a quote, hit the little box containing “+” and it’ll add that selected post to your next reply.  Pretty helpful in sales threads where you want to take multiple books offered.

On 7/5/2022 at 7:28 PM, KirbyTown said:

I should qualify my "reprint" assessment (edited to "Fascimile Cover" now), which should have more accurately just said "not original" since I doubt there's a reprint with full dress...at least until later this year maybe:

Looks like a modern size book in a modern size bag and board.
Book looks too thick, spine too round, and cover stock (and its damage) anachronistic.
Original FC image has a vertical black line along the left hand side which is pretty much always visible on the front or back.
Original green circle is almost never cut off and will have a fair amount of space to the right of it.
Registration and staples like this would be nearly impossible.
This cover has no red ink on the back (see "spray" card in suitcase, boy's shirt, the orange text in general)
The blue shade on the back is anachronistic.
I'm sure there are more, please add.

And realistically, how likely is it that an actual ASM #1 would be found in this condition and just popped into a clean bag and board and brought to a message board? There are 3,130 blues on the census and the average grade is 3.76.

Kirbytown quote asm #1 repro 7-07-22.png

On 7/5/2022 at 10:28 PM, KirbyTown said:

This cover has no red ink on the back (see "spray" card in suitcase, boy's shirt, the orange text in general)
The blue shade on the back is anachronistic.
I'm sure there are more, please add.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:15 PM, shadroch said:

Are you people ignoring the different back covers?  No one made this to be a good fake and put a different back cover on it.  There is zero doubt this is a modern reproduction. It's just a matter of figuring out which modern repro it is.  

@shadroch If you were expecting an entirely different back cover, you're mistaken.  There are differences that KirbyTown pointed out, but I'd call those minor differences.  This back cover of the fake is intended to look just like the real thing, right down to the smudged red ink on the "H" that starts the header "Here's Why You'll Make Money."

For ease of comparison, here we have a real one (from Heritage) and the fake one (from page 1 of this thread).  

ASM_1_BC_Both_Larger.thumb.jpg.ee2103a4962f221ed6eb6b540381a839.jpg

Smudged_Red_Ink.jpg.164bf0ef170abac723f8bf777a37b743.jpg

I respectfully disagree that it's a matter of finding which modern repro this is.  If there were a mass-produced reprint or repro just like this, it would be common knowledge among the experienced collectors on this board and there would be numerous copies on eBay

My opinion is that this is a fake designed to deceive.  My opinion is informed by the information in this thread, as well as the fact that nobody has stepped up to say something along the lines of "Oh, yeah, that's the one from Kyrgyzstan" or "I have one of those in my collection", and there are no reprints like this that I could find on eBay

I'm eager to hear other opinions or, better yet, actual evidence to the contrary. 

Edited by SOTIcollector
Fixed a carriage return that didn't belong there. I'm just picky like that.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:22 PM, SOTIcollector said:

and there are no reprints like this that I could find

I'm not familiar with foreign editions, but I'm confident that all of the American reprints have some kind of alteration to the dress, possibly to highlight that it's a reprint? GRR is missing the whole price circle for example, Previews shows the upcoming 9/2022 reprint with a modern Marvel logotype added near bottom left:

STL222115.jpg

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Hello and Welcome To The Boards!!!

What does the "Indicia" read/look like?

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Glossary:Indicia

I do not have an ASM 1 and my #2 is missing the bottom of the front cover, here is the Indicia from ASM 3, they should be very similar since they were only published four month's apart.

thumbnail.jpg

Also, here is the back, inside cover ad page from ASM 2, as you can see the ad is complete and not cut off on the edge as yours is.

thumbnail-1.jpg

ASM 1 also has a Full Page House Ad, "A Personal Message From Spider-Man", which I do not see in your copy.

0iriypa8aq491.webp

I am now curious, does this house ad exist in the OP's copy?