• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Classic Comics #1 - Three Musketeers (1941)
3 3

17 posts in this topic

Haven't seen many Golden Age books here since I discovered this forum. Always neat to see something new. I'm going to say 4.5±1.0 but I am really uncertain about the standards at CGC for GA books (hence the wide range). The binding/spine looks a little rough but what's the best case scenario for that kind of stapling? Interested to know what other people say.

Are the two extra staples holding on what would be an otherwise detached cover or centerfold? Or are they just superfluous?

Edited by grendelbo

On 7/9/2022 at 5:22 PM, grendelbo said:

Are the two extra staples holding on what would be an otherwise detached cover or centerfold? Or are they just superfluous?

I looked at a few copies on Heritage and could've find any with 4 staples, so i guess someone added 2 extra staples afterward for reinforcement, although it doesn't look like anything was detached.

(I added a pic of the centerfold)

Edited by John R

The centerfold and the cover look attached. Those extra staples (the 1st & the 3rd) look old - perhaps someone got over zealous at preserving the comic and added them. 

I'm thinking 4.5/5.0 with "Two staples added after manufacturing" notation. This grade puts it on the cusp of CGC graders choosing to Qualify it. I think it'll stay Universal though. With the added holes to the cover, spine damage and a few other moderate flaws, it wouldn't be a much higher Qualified grade.

Very neat book. Lucky.

It deserves more eyes and opinions -

@Galen130

@Funnybooks

@marvelmaniac

@zzutak

Thanks for posting.

Surprisingly, there doesn’t appear to be much rust migration either…4 staples at that age of a comic.  The spine looks pretty rough though, where the staples are.  hm

This is a tough one.  It presents well, and the cover doesn’t look brittle…per se.

Those pages are shiny!!! lol

Have you checked for color touch?

Disregarding age and just grading the book by the grading standards...

Minor to moderate edge wear/creasing with color break/rub, moderate to severe spine stress with small tears, blunted corners w/small pieces missing, color breaking creases at corners, 14"-1/2" spine splits, extra staples added, staples are rusty, long color breaking crease in center of cover, slight spine roll w/slightly fanned pages.

IMO, due to the small pieces missing from the corners and the tears through the spine...

4.5 VERY GOOD+ (VG):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Good but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:23 AM, grendelbo said:

The centerfold and the cover look attached. Those extra staples (the 1st & the 3rd) look old - perhaps someone got over zealous at preserving the comic and added them. 

I'm thinking 4.5/5.0 with "Two staples added after manufacturing" notation. This grade puts it on the cusp of CGC graders choosing to Qualify it. I think it'll stay Universal though. With the added holes to the cover, spine damage and a few other moderate flaws, it wouldn't be a much higher Qualified grade.

Very neat book. Lucky.

It deserves more eyes and opinions -

Thanks for posting.

This exactly 

Season 3 Finger Guns GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

If I had to lean one way for the sake of it, I would lean 4.5

Each pair of staples appear different enough that it would suggest that one pair was placed post production?

On 7/10/2022 at 12:43 PM, Funnybooks said:

This exactly 

Season 3 Finger Guns GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

If I had to lean one way for the sake of it, I would lean 4.5

Each pair of staples appear different enough that it would suggest that one pair was placed post production?

Oh hi!

tumblr_5350178d752f1a71afb66d2fda5ddaff_9a77a782_540.gif.adf71c26e95e890f5095773addb0e441.gif

On 7/10/2022 at 1:30 AM, Galen130 said:

Surprisingly, there doesn’t appear to be much rust migration either…4 staples at that age of a comic.  The spine looks pretty rough though, where the staples are.  hm

This is a tough one.  It presents well, and the cover doesn’t look brittle…per se.

Those pages are shiny!!! lol

Have you checked for color touch?

I don't know too much about color touch detection, but don't see anything obvious when holding it to light. I also don't see any color bleed on inside of FC and BC. Here are pics 

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg