• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

worn Marvel Spotlight Ghost Rider #5 (worth grading?)
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Had this since Inwas a child. Found it in my storage recently. It’s circumference/border of the cover is worn, but that’s about it…. Every page is there, no creases on the bridge. Never had any restoration . 

I’d like to do what’s best until next bull market. 

I have a ton of mint 90’s comics too. Still in packages and wrapping; I.g. Death of Superman. 

498456A3-54AD-433B-A941-4284EE0969C0.jpeg

5048D411-7563-41C9-BE60-FE5AA66385D2.jpeg

Edited by House of El
Added pics

Your copy appears to be in the VG/FN range but you'll need to take the comic out of the bag and provide at least two photos - of the front and back cover - for us to provide our best estimates.

Certifying the grade and entombing the book all depends on what you want to do with it. A CGC label is great if you want to sell. Many people love the look of their comics in slabs. Personally I like Mylites 2 because it's still important for me to be able to look at and read books in my collection. All that being said, a Marvel Spotlight 5 is an important book.

Welcome to the boards.

I might lower my prediction to the lower end of the range (4.0) b/c that missing piece on the spine and the stain. +1 on @grendelbo on grading. My current assumption is that some day (hopefully many years from now) someone will have to assume responsibility for my collection and grading the important books will make that easier. I like the look of a slab and I can't keep up with reading all the new books I have so most of the back issues stay in the boxes anyway. At least these days, it's nice that there are electronic versions of everything out there if you want to virtually thumb through an issue, which isn't as satisfactory an experience from all the senses but you can still enjoy it on some level. I'm working through grading the most important books and MS5 was one of the first ones I sent in for grading

On 7/10/2022 at 4:27 PM, 1950's war comics said:

ir's worth grading if had a small batch to submit (and a year to wait lol) but not worth grading by itself as shipping both ways and grading fees adds up too much for just this one book

It should not take a year. A 3.0-3.5 is probably in the express tier (turnaround 2 weeks) or standard (turnaround 31 days) after the ~3 week wait for them to open shipments. Return shipping by FedEx fully insured is $20 now, so whatever rate to get to Sarasota, say $25-50 by USPS depending on the amount of insurance. Alternatively, you can find an authorized dealer. The one I used does my C&P (faster than CCS) and does not charge for shipping to CGC. IDK if this is typical, but I get an express tier book C&P & graded for $10 less than if CGC did it all, and I don't pay a shipping fee. $230 for all plus shipping if you send it on your own express ($150 for standard).

Alternatively, with this book you could get this C&P'd and graded on the "cheap" by sending it off to the Roy Thomas (the book editor and co-creator of GR) signing before the 7/22 deadline. That will be $90 signing/grading, $20 pressing plus shipping, so roughly half the normal grading fee. It will take longer since the signing probably isn't actually until Sept, but still not a year wait. Should only be 6-8 weeks after the signing is done, so my bet would be in time for Christmas if not Thanksgiving.