• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No USPS Registered Mail Option
4 4

111 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2022 at 1:12 PM, Lightning55 said:

Tried making a change in the delivery point at least a year ago, with no success, and here is my recollection.  CGC has instructed FedEx that none of their shipments can be re-routed.  On the tracking notification that you get from CGC via FedEx, there is a link to Manage Your Shipment.  When you try to change it in any way, it doesn't let you.  Just a message that the Shipper does not allow any changes.  Now that could be interpreted as changing a final destination.  I don't know how it would handle the Walgreen's aspect, but I think there is no way to even start a process if it is blocked.  Maybe by phone through FedEx.

I ended up watching it until it got to the FedEx terminal nearest me, and picked it up there.  I was not going to be home to sign for it, didn't want it left on the steps.  A hassle, but worth it.

Maybe other people have had success diverting FedEx CGC packages and can chime in.  I don't think it's possible, but maybe they can prove me wrong.

I think you are right. I have a reholder coming next week from FedEx Ground and the Manage Delivery option says:

Due to shipper restrictions, additional delivery options are not available for this shipment. For more information, please contact the shipper.

So I guess I would have to call CGC to inquire if the package can be redirected? 

So, assuming FedEx shipper restrictions work like the UPS shipper restrictions I'm more familiar with, a shipper (here, CGC) can essentially request that their packages are locked out from delivery change requests. This is pretty common for businesses that deal in high value shipments (a lot of technology shippers) or that are unusually prone to fraud (also technology shippers, pharma fulfillment, etc).

The shipper retains the ability to make changes. So, if that's what has been put in place here (and I certainly can't guarantee that, or even that FedEx does things that way), then, yes, to have a delivery address changed, you would have to get CGC to call FedEx on your behalf. At least for UPS, that doesn't necessarily.apply.to having a package held for pickup at a company will call desk, so you may still have options.

I still wish that, if they had to go down to one standard shipper for operational purposes, that they'd opted for USPS Registered Mail here. I find UPS to be my preferred shipper for normal stuff (and not because they pay me), but Registered Mail exists to serve the needs of high-value, care-required shipments for a reason. FedEx, on the other hand, is, um, slightly cheaper? I guess? I've had more problems with them in the last decade than the other two logistics options combined.

So lets say we find out that you CAN call CGC to have your FedEx shipment altered.  With EVERYTHING going FedEx, they'll have to open a new branch of CS just for that!

"Thank you for calling CGC to reroute your shipment.  We are experiencing unprecedented call volume.  The expected wait time for a representative can be viewed on our Estimated Turnaround Time page."  17 days

On 7/17/2022 at 7:06 AM, Gaard said:

If CGC is adamant about going forward with this very bad decision, they should relax their equally bad rule of not being able to divert the shipment.

Edit: Why does this company make so many bad decisions?

Because they only care about the ease of profitability. Good customer service is too much of a profit inhibitor. As long as they have commercial customers sending in tens of thousands of modern garbage books to be graded every week, opinions from actual collectors like us will keep going unheard. CGC no longer serves the comic book community, they only exploit us

Edited by Nic8612

On 7/17/2022 at 6:06 AM, Gaard said:

Edit: Why does this company make so many bad decisions?

Because a large number of customers bend over and take it.

This is all very interesting. We use USPS(First Class or Priority) for anything under $500. Anything over that we have ALWAYS used FedEx and have NEVER had an issue with a package being majorly delayed, lost or stolen. We are talking hundreds of books and lots of books from $500-$6000 over the past five years or so! Not. One. Problem.

Logically, doesn't it make sense that a company that can be sued would take better care of their clients than an entity of the government that doesn't care a lick about their customers??? If something did go wrong, wouldn't it be easier to get a claim back from a private company than the government? Last I checked, the government liked to take money more than give it.

Is it FedEx Ground that's the problem? We have never used that option.

On eBay, they give sellers HUGE discounts on FedEx 1 and 2 Day and they always get it there faster then the supposedly "faster" USPS options. The only issue we have ran into is packages being returned to us because the buyer is unavailable to sign or pick up. I'd much rather have issues like that than the tracking stating delivered but the customer never actually got it(this has occurred a few times using USPS Priority or Express Mail). Yes, I know that eBay considers the item "delivered" and we're not on the hook for it, but we run a business with a lot higher integrity than eBay...:manhero:

I worked in Receiving for years, and FedEx was by far the worst shipper. I don't know if it's still true, but at the time, the drivers acted as independent contractors for FedEx and supplied their own trucks. You would assume an owner/driver would be conscientious, but most of them acted like they didn't care. The service hasn't gotten any better for my home deliveries.

On 7/21/2022 at 5:20 PM, trademarkcomics said:

This is all very interesting. We use USPS(First Class or Priority) for anything under $500. Anything over that we have ALWAYS used FedEx and have NEVER had an issue with a package being majorly delayed, lost or stolen. We are talking hundreds of books and lots of books from $500-$6000 over the past five years or so! Not. One. Problem.

Logically, doesn't it make sense that a company that can be sued would take better care of their clients than an entity of the government that doesn't care a lick about their customers??? If something did go wrong, wouldn't it be easier to get a claim back from a private company than the government? Last I checked, the government liked to take money more than give it.

Is it FedEx Ground that's the problem? We have never used that option.

On eBay, they give sellers HUGE discounts on FedEx 1 and 2 Day and they always get it there faster then the supposedly "faster" USPS options. The only issue we have ran into is packages being returned to us because the buyer is unavailable to sign or pick up. I'd much rather have issues like that than the tracking stating delivered but the customer never actually got it(this has occurred a few times using USPS Priority or Express Mail). Yes, I know that eBay considers the item "delivered" and we're not on the hook for it, but we run a business with a lot higher integrity than eBay...:manhero:

Unfortunately I've had so many issues using fed ex. As another poster pointed out they act as independent contractors and the folks they usually hire are highly suspect. A co worker of mine who now works as a parole officer had quite a few of his case load hired by the fed.ex contractors. You have been very fortunate not to have any issues. 

On 7/21/2022 at 7:36 PM, Mmanick said:

Unfortunately I've had so many issues using fed ex. As another poster pointed out they act as independent contractors and the folks they usually hire are highly suspect. A co worker of mine who now works as a parole officer had quite a few of his case load hired by the fed.ex contractors. You have been very fortunate not to have any issues. 

I think we're pretty lucky to work in a field where there really isn't a black market for what we sell. The only place they could sell our books are on eBay. And the CGC cases that make these things worth ridiculous amounts of money are numbered, so it's not really enticing to the EVIL people out there to steal them.

"They're all CHEATS and LIARS!"

airplane-mirror.gif.a3fa4c5027498851472a251d45036802.gif

On 7/21/2022 at 8:41 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I think we're pretty lucky to work in a field where there really isn't a black market for what we sell. The only place they could sell our books are on eBay. And the CGC cases that make these things worth ridiculous amounts of money are numbered, so it's not really enticing to the EVIL people out there to steal them.

"They're all CHEATS and LIARS!"

airplane-mirror.gif.a3fa4c5027498851472a251d45036802.gif

A local LCS was robbed and the guy cracked the slabs tried selling them on offer up. A fellow comic collector caught the thief in Oakland CA trying to sell them. The only reason he found it was the guys books were some of them had date stamps and apparently the guy had a ton of other stolen goods. 

On 7/21/2022 at 8:44 PM, Mmanick said:

A local LCS was robbed and the guy cracked the slabs tried selling them on offer up. A fellow comic collector caught the thief in Oakland CA trying to sell them. The only reason he found it was the guys books were some of them had date stamps and apparently the guy had a ton of other stolen goods. 

I grew up in Richmond. I'm not surprised. Either by the theft or that he got caught.

So @reptilekingdie just reported that he had some books stolen out of a FedEx package - it was opened then sealed back up.  This is almost an impossibility with USPS registered as those packages must be sealed with paper tape and date stamped at every seam.  Another reason CGC has to fix this horrible decision.

I really think everyone should be outraged and DEMAND it immediately!!

On 7/30/2022 at 6:04 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

So @reptilekingdie just reported that he had some books stolen out of a FedEx package - it was opened then sealed back up.  This is almost an impossibility with USPS registered as those packages must be sealed with paper tape and date stamped at every seam.  Another reason CGC has to fix this horrible decision.

I really think everyone should be outraged and DEMAND it immediately!!

As I keep repeating, in my area only one driver for each UPS and FedEx do good work. Of course, even if the "good" FedEx driver was to deliver my CGC shipments, the comic books have to go through numerous FedEx locations and be handled by numerous FedEx employees.

Since my local UPS and FedEx options are limited, I only trust them with extremely heavy shipments since they are ba**busters to deliver and, thus, may not be prone to theft if only because the employees that handle the packages and driver likely just wish to be done with them. Very heavy packages are also hard, if not impossible, to throw. Granted, they could "fall off the truck."

Back when I was submitting, I used to get boxes of 25 slabs waiting for me at the PO (I used USPS). When I picked them up, the the older ladies who worked there always hated seeing me walk in. That meant they would have to go get that heavy box. They,re probably happy they haven't seen me in a while.

So back when you could still choose this, I selected USPS registered and paid extra for it. ($80?) I specifically wanted USPS because it was a 15k to 20k package.

Just checked the tracking and it's #$@#%$% FEDEX!  So now it's not only less safe, I'm out $60. @CGC Mike

I recommend those who had previous invoices with USPS, check your shipping method.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:37 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

So back when you could still choose this, I selected USPS registered and paid extra for it. ($80?) I specifically wanted USPS because it was a 15k to 20k package.

Just checked the tracking and it's #$@#%$% FEDEX!  So now it's not only less safe, I'm out $60. @CGC Mike

I recommend those who had previous invoices with USPS, check your shipping method.

Unacceptable. I would be worried sick with FedEx. :facepalm:

On 9/8/2022 at 2:37 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

That’s exactly why I’m buying a USPS P.O. Box because I just can’t risk using FedEx again. I’m sorry man that’s terrible.