• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No USPS Registered Mail Option
4 4

111 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2022 at 6:52 PM, D84 said:

It was innovative when

Hide contents

CBCS

did it in 2016.

Ah I stand corrected.  I don't pay any attention to 

Spoiler

CBCS

Way too many stories of favoritism, overgrades, inconsistency for me to pay any attention to them.  I would rather keep my books raw or maximize their value.   It's not a permanent thing - I've seen the #2 grading service in other collectibles improve to compete with the top dog.  It's just going to take a lot, including a more presentable product, for them to get there IMO. 

On 7/13/2022 at 9:17 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This is what "left with individual" looks like on my route:

image.thumb.jpeg.5336292620283a12015166bba570edce.jpeg

To be fair, for the package they delivered today, they knocked on the door and had me sign. But most of the Registered Mail I've received during covid when "they sign virtually for you" they just dropped in front of my door, knock, and walk away without confirming that I'm even home. If they're back to actually getting signatures, then Registered Mail is preferred.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:41 PM, BladeTX said:

Way too many stories of favoritism, overgrades, inconsistency for me to pay any attention to them.  I would rather keep my books raw or maximize their value.   It's not a permanent thing - I've seen the #2 grading service in other collectibles improve to compete with the top dog.  It's just going to take a lot, including a more presentable product, for them to get there IMO. 

Could be true.  But at least you know now the origin of those features, and who was quite a bit late to the party.  They sure were proud to announce those "major" changes that they imitated. 

Wouldn't be the first time a #1 company rolled out something that was pioneered by the #2 company, as if they had invented it themselves.  It's called spin.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:03 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Wow that is crazy. Yeah hopefully they go back to face to face. 

It will be a long time. 

This is so much easier for them.  The company will profess to be looking out for the safety of its employees, and be VERY reluctant to change back.  Not just FedEx, all carriers. 

As spikes occur anywhere in the country, they can say there's no telling what geography is safe, so none at all are safe.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:12 PM, Lightning55 said:

It will be a long time. 

This is so much easier for them.  The company will profess to be looking out for the safety of its employees, and be VERY reluctant to change back.  Not just FedEx, all carriers. 

As spikes occur anywhere in the country, they can say there's no telling what geography is safe, so none at all are safe.

True, but don't get me wrong, I still think registered is WAY safer than FedEx. 

I looked at the photo again, and it looks like it is a Registered USPS shipment.  I thought it was FedEx at first glance.  My bad. 

So THAT was supposed to be signed for and accepted by a human.  Looks like not so much.  The letter carrier probably signed for it, as that is still in force, I think.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, Lightning55 said:

I looked at the photo again, and it looks like it is a Registered USPS shipment.  I thought it was FedEx at first glance.  My bad. 

So THAT was supposed to be signed for and accepted by a human.  Looks like not so much.  The letter carrier probably signed for it, as that is still in force, I think.

I wonder if it's the carrier's decision to do this? When I'm not home, I always get one of those little pink cards put in my box telling me I have a package at the PO.

Here is my recommendation on this...

If you are using Fed Ex you can divert your package to the nearest Walgreens or Fed Ex pickup / drop off. 

I thought signing for a comic order and dropping it off at someone else's home was a nightmare.  What's worse than your comics? 

How about signing for someone's medication and leaving it at the wrong doorstep.  Ever since the local driver signed for my father's medication and dropped it off to one of his neighbors, I divert all Fed Ex packages that qualify for such service to Walgreens.  It causes Walgreens to be a part of the chain of custody and they go through a far greater verification than Fed Ex.  Fed Ex drivers will just scribble your name and assume they did the job correctly.   Walgreens needs to enter a license number to verify identification. 

I have almost $2500 in items coming from comiclink in the next couple of weeks.  Do I hope for the best that the driver will do the right thing?  Do I make the driver drop it off at Walgreens where there will be someone personally there and both parties have to enter very specific information into the system.

If I receive a notification to pick up my package and either the driver or Walgreens cuts corners and I go to Walgreens and the package is not there, then I am protected.  That is on them.  

On 7/14/2022 at 4:31 AM, Buzzetta said:

Here is my recommendation on this...

If you are using Fed Ex you can divert your package to the nearest Walgreens or Fed Ex pickup / drop off. 

I thought signing for a comic order and dropping it off at someone else's home was a nightmare.  What's worse than your comics? 

How about signing for someone's medication and leaving it at the wrong doorstep.  Ever since the local driver signed for my father's medication and dropped it off to one of his neighbors, I divert all Fed Ex packages that qualify for such service to Walgreens.  It causes Walgreens to be a part of the chain of custody and they go through a far greater verification than Fed Ex.  Fed Ex drivers will just scribble your name and assume they did the job correctly.   Walgreens needs to enter a license number to verify identification. 

I have almost $2500 in items coming from comiclink in the next couple of weeks.  Do I hope for the best that the driver will do the right thing?  Do I make the driver drop it off at Walgreens where there will be someone personally there and both parties have to enter very specific information into the system.

If I receive a notification to pick up my package and either the driver or Walgreens cuts corners and I go to Walgreens and the package is not there, then I am protected.  That is on them.  

Tried making a change in the delivery point at least a year ago, with no success, and here is my recollection.  CGC has instructed FedEx that none of their shipments can be re-routed.  On the tracking notification that you get from CGC via FedEx, there is a link to Manage Your Shipment.  When you try to change it in any way, it doesn't let you.  Just a message that the Shipper does not allow any changes.  Now that could be interpreted as changing a final destination.  I don't know how it would handle the Walgreen's aspect, but I think there is no way to even start a process if it is blocked.  Maybe by phone through FedEx.

I ended up watching it until it got to the FedEx terminal nearest me, and picked it up there.  I was not going to be home to sign for it, didn't want it left on the steps.  A hassle, but worth it.

Maybe other people have had success diverting FedEx CGC packages and can chime in.  I don't think it's possible, but maybe they can prove me wrong.

On 7/14/2022 at 2:12 PM, Lightning55 said:

Tried making a change in the delivery point at least a year ago, with no success, and here is my recollection.  CGC has instructed FedEx that none of their shipments can be re-routed.  On the tracking notification that you get from CGC via FedEx, there is a link to Manage Your Shipment.  When you try to change it in any way, it doesn't let you.  Just a message that the Shipper does not allow any changes.  Now that could be interpreted as changing a final destination.  I don't know how it would handle the Walgreen's aspect, but I think there is no way to even start a process if it is blocked.  Maybe by phone through FedEx.

I ended up watching it until it got to the FedEx terminal nearest me, and picked it up there.  I was not going to be home to sign for it, didn't want it left on the steps.  A hassle, but worth it.

Maybe other people have had success diverting FedEx CGC packages and can chime in.  I don't think it's possible, but maybe they can prove me wrong.

Good to know…. I know that Comiclink allows me to manage my delivery which is what I will be doing with the two orders I just placed with them.    With Comic Connect / Metro, I just pick the items up at their office.

I have not received a package from CGC since last year.  This company is not giving me much of an incentive to activate my paid account again.  Sad. 

On 7/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, Lightning55 said:

If you're referring to my photo, yeah, that was Registered Mail. But they had me sign for the package yesterday, so maybe virtual signing is done, in which case, I prefer USPS. I didn't know FedEx was such a problem for some people; I've always used Registered Mail because it's insured

On 7/14/2022 at 2:56 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If you're referring to my photo, yeah, that was Registered Mail. But they had me sign for the package yesterday, so maybe virtual signing is done, in which case, I prefer USPS. I didn't know FedEx was such a problem for some people; I've always used Registered Mail because it's insured

Now I'm even more confused....USPS had you sign for the package, but your photo shows it being left in the mail lobby, presumably with no contact, as you wouldn't leave it there.

Edited by Lightning55

On 7/14/2022 at 3:12 PM, Lightning55 said:

Now I'm even more confused....USPS had you sign for the package, but your photo shows it being left in the mail lobby, presumably with no contact, as you wouldn't leave it there.

This pic is from a different shipment a few weeks ago. The package delivered yesterday was delivered correctly.

Ah.  The WHOLE story unfolds.  So we have 1 bad, 1 good.  I guess 50% is about the norm these days.

Went to the local post office today to pick up a package that had postage due.  No one could find it, presumed it was sent back. 

I got home and checked the tracking, said it was being held.  Called the post office, and the Postmaster was the one to answer the phone.  I told him my sad tale.  He said "hold on" and presumably went to check it out.  It was a full 5 minutes till he got back, but found the package. 

He said, "It was on top of the safe where it is supposed to be, since it was not collected for yet, but the safe is tall and not everyone would be able to see it."  Good procedure.  He knew where to look and it still took 5 minutes.  It's a small building.  The safe is probably less than 50 feet from the phone. 

Wasted trip.

On 7/14/2022 at 6:25 PM, Lightning55 said:

Ah.  The WHOLE story unfolds.  So we have 1 bad, 1 good.  I guess 50% is about the norm these days.

Went to the local post office today to pick up a package that had postage due.  No one could find it, presumed it was sent back. 

I got home and checked the tracking, said it was being held.  Called the post office, and the Postmaster was the one to answer the phone.  I told him my sad tale.  He said "hold on" and presumably went to check it out.  It was a full 5 minutes till he got back, but found the package. 

He said, "It was on top of the safe where it is supposed to be, since it was not collected for yet, but the safe is tall and not everyone would be able to see it."  Good procedure.  He knew where to look and it still took 5 minutes.  It's a small building.  The safe is probably less than 50 feet from the phone. 

Wasted trip.

For some reason, this reminded me of an order I placed with one of the dealers on the boards for a book.  The book was supposed to arrive that day and when it said delivered I got a little nervous considering that the mail was delivered, I know the mailman and he didn't deliver it with the other mail... I mean I even asked him if he had any packages for me...

While I am at the post office, and they still could not find it... I got a call from my mom to let me know my package arrived.  

Huh?

Now I have things sent to their house frequently but in this case, this package was supposed to go to me.  They decided to loop it in with their mail across town and despite it having my address on it gave it to them.

Both :facepalm: and :ohnoez:

Usually USPS has been a gem to and for me though...so if that has been the worst... eh... 

In general, I would say my local post office is great.  You can see evidence on these boards that USPS would not receive the same good evaluation everywhere. 

My biggest problem with them is Media Mail.  EBay people like to ship comics Media, and my post office is all over that, and legitimately so.  It does cause a bump in the road, though.

My delivery drivers have been fantastic whether it be Fed-Ex, USPS, and UPS.  Never really had a problem with any for the past 5 years or so.  I did have one instance a long time ago with USPS where it said on tracking that the package was delivered to my home, but it never showed up because I was home all day.  To make the long story short, I talked to the USPS postal master and she just told me to file a claim because it seemed the package was lost or possibly delivered to the wrong address.  I did get my $ back from the person I bought it from because he didn't insure it :facepalm:, but boy those were some rare and high end GA books that didn't make it to me :frown:.  I was also told that my regular USPS driver was not on duty that day and it was a temporary/substitute driver.  Ugh what luck!?  

But anyways, the only complaint I have with USPS is that when it comes to any package that would need a signature to claim it, the driver would just sign for themselves and leave it on my porch or door.  Pretty much anyone can come to my door and steal my package.  This was in effect when covid first started.  I really hope they revert back to having the recipient sign for the packages again or even leave a doortag to pickup at my local PO.  With Fed-Ex, my local driver would always doorbell and wait for someone to sign for it.  

I guess it's different experiences for everyone, but it is not all bad when it comes to Fed-Ex, at least with me. I believe Heritage, CC, and CL are all using Fed-Ex to ship my winning books.  I don't really have a choice to use what I want.

@CGC Mike So from what I gather to get a package shipped securely from CGC we need to:

A. Purchase a monthly P.O. Box, or

B. Become a small business, set up a USPS Business account and co-ordinate with CGC, which then CGC washes their hands of everything, or

C. Figure out how to redirect a FedEx package to a place that will sign for the package.

or:

A. CGC can drop this stupid policy and just let us pay extra for USPS registered if we want.

Thank god I randomly filled out a submittal form for a $25k order on July 4 right before the switch. It may be my last.