• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bed bugs & comic books
1 1

9 posts in this topic

So we just found out we picked up some bed bugs from our last air bnb stay, and what was already an expensive problem is starting to become a bigger issue.  I currently have 7 long boxes of primarily silver age books under my bed!

I didn't think much of it, but when we called the bed bug treatment company he said that bed bugs can live in old books, paper, etc. Uh oh. 

Their recommendation is to heat treat our house which will kill all bed bugs, but I'm hoping this process doesn't hurt my comics as well!

I'm guessing I definitely need to buy all new longboxes (they could be living in the cardboard), but what else should I do as a precaution? These books are all bagged and boarded btw.

My worries are as follows:

1. I remove all my comics from the house and bring them back in after treatment and inadvertently reinfest the house w bed bugs

2. I leave the comics in the house to also get heat treated, and the books get damaged somehow

3. What about the bags? Will they "melt" or stick to the covers or anything like that?

Not sure how to best handle this and I don't trust the opinion of the random bed bug technician dude. Anyone in here ever go thru this before?  Any advice??

Edited by UncleAnwar

On 7/11/2022 at 9:25 AM, UncleAnwar said:

So we just found out we picked up some bed bugs from our last air bnb stay, and what was already an expensive problem is starting to become a bigger issue.  I currently have 7 long boxes of primarily silver age books under my bed!

I didn't think much of it, but when we called the bed bug treatment company he said that bed bugs can live in old books, paper, etc. Uh oh. 

Their recommendation is to heat treat our house which will kill all bed bugs, but I'm hoping this process doesn't hurt my comics as well!

I'm guessing I definitely need to buy all new longboxes (they could be living in the cardboard), but what else should I do as a precaution? These books are all bagged and boarded btw.

My worries are as follows:

1. I remove all my comics from the house and bring them back in after treatment and inadvertently reinfest the house w bed bugs

2. I leave the comics in the house to also get heat treated, and the books get damaged somehow

3. What about the bags? Will they "melt" or stick to the covers or anything like that?

Not sure how to best handle this and I don't trust the opinion of the random bed bug technician dude. Anyone in here ever go thru this before?  Any advice??

@oakman29  - help this guy out!

Edited by seanfingh

On 7/11/2022 at 7:17 AM, seanfingh said:

@oakman29  - help this guy out!

I am an exterminator of 25 years . I can give you some pointers. Maybe instead of heat treatment you can go another way. Fumigation of your home will not only kill bed bugs , but take care of termites at the same time without heat treating .

To all people who use hotels make sure you never leave your suitcases on the bed. Always use the stand that they provide. I service many upscale hotels, and it doesnt matter whether you get a room at Motel6 or Trump Towers they all get bed bugs. Inspect your bed prior to sleeping in it. When you get back home leave your full suitcase in the hot sun for a full day.

If you have artwork on your wall they will melt, your comics ? I wouldnt subject my books to that kind of heat. So there are options I would take 2 and shut the heat treatment down and fumigate my home instead. 

Best is to always be proactive and check the room before your stay.

Worry 1. Bed bugs cant get through the mylar 

So remove your comics from the box, and leave the box. Make sure when you take them out you inspect them first before leaving your home with them.

Any other questions? 

I have my branch 2 Structural pest license 

Branch 3 fumigation,  agriculture department license,  California fish and game trapping license. 

So I'm able to help a fellow board member.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, oakman29 said:

To all people who use hotels make sure you never leave your suitcases on the bed. Always use the stand that they provide. I service many upscale hotels, and it doesnt matter whether you get a room at Motel6 or Trump Towers they all get bed bugs. Inspect your bed prior to sleeping in it. When you get back home leave your full suitcase in the hot sun for a full day.

yes to all of this, lift the mattress, remove the bed sheet and do a full inspection