• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overtsreet Guide Pricing Sucks

46 posts in this topic

Ah, OK, I agree then...that's the same thing I've been hypothesizing in the main forum for the last few months. I'm sure a lot of long-time collectors already realize this, but it sure shakes your faith in the industry when it first occurs to you.

Hi Hans,

The Brother Jonathan version of Obadiah Oldbuck from 1842 sold for $3511. It had dark brown front and back covers vs the other known version with a yellow cover.

Beerbohm added a caption under Pore Lil' Mose this year describing people who cut up Platinum Age books as S.C.U.M. (sellers of cut-up material).

OT: As you are a seasoned MM collector, what's your estimate on existing copies of MM Bibo Lang? I've always believed that that book was somewhat rare with an estimated 75-100 copies left in existence. However, in the first 4 months of this year, I have seen at least 6 or 7 different copies offered on eBay, with 3 actually appearing the same week.

Ted

NN,

The Bibo/Lang book is way overrated in the guide. I've seen at

least 25, possibly 40 copies on eBay over the past 4 years. I took

it off my want list several years ago - it is just not rare enough to

be attractive per my taste. +, it's just a kids' book that really doesn't

have much historical significance for comics collectors. What I

find interesting is the early trial/error experiments that various

publishers did that formed the evolution of the modern comic book.

Especially, I am fascinated by the 1933-40 period. That's why I like

the MM Mag series and am starting collections of More Fun/Adventure.

One note: just as common the Bibo/Lang book is in lower grade,

just as rare it is in FN/VF or above. I've only seen one high grade

copy offered for sale in my lifetime. If a VF copy were to emerge

today, it would easily break $10,000 (I would pay that myself

with little hesitation).

hkp

Hans,

I have never seen a VF copy of Bibo Lang and like you, I would imagine that many MM collectors would emerge from the woodworks, to pay multiples of guide for it. I am happy to say though that I do have a Mickey Mouse Magazine dairy giveaway v1#1 from Nov 1933 in CGC VF/NM 9.0 with white pages. This is not only much rarer than the Bibo Lang, but it is also high grade.

I am beginning to suspect that Bibo Lang may actually be closer to 200-300 copies remaining. Any further thoughts?

Ted

Your 2nd series V1#1 is proabably one of the best in existence, CGC graded or

not. Still, it is far from as rare as the 1st series V1#1. There is currently a copy

of the latter being offered at Mastronet; this is only the 3rd I've ever seen. Know

several other collectors who have their eyes firmly fixed on it already...

Oh, and yes, the 2/1#1 is definitely more scarce than Bibo/Lang by any measure.

---

Just for the record, the best Bibo/Lang I've seen was offered at All Star in 1998

(catalog #2). Unfortunately, their scan is badly cropped but supposedly it was a

VF except for a minor corner crease. I believe I saw another nice copy at

Sotheby's or Christies but I could be mistaken.

I agre with your arguments about the dealer-friendly Guide prices.

But this point is off the mark somewhat:

C'mon, why price Action #1 NM 9.4 for $350,000 when I've seen dealers offer $1 million dollars for that book, all in the pages of the same guide? What's the point?

I think those ads are just to attract the guy who found a collection in his attic or is selling his collection. What better way to get him to call YOU than offering the most money? And, any savvy dealer if ever faced with a true 9.4 Action #1 could very easily talk its condition (and price) down to half of that. And no comic book has ever sold for that much so its a market guess anyway based on sales of other comparable keys. And--aparently no such copy exists! see the thread baout the 5 best copies of Action 31 where it has been reported that the MH copy has (gasp!) colortouch!!!

But as you are probably thinking, that would STILL be way more than the Overstreet Guide price for the book. My answer then is that Bob never wants to ever LOWER his prices and show any weakness in the hobby from year to year...so he gradually raises them, staying behind the trends. And dealers and buyers have grown accustomed to paying "over Guide" for the best stuff.

Could someone provide the new prices for the following:

Four Color #456 (Carl Barks "Back to the Klondike") in GD & FN

2002 value in GD and FN are $60 & $180

Four Color #147 (Carl Barks "Volcano Valley") in GD & FN

2002 value in GD & FN are $80 & $240

I think those ads are just to attract the guy who found a collection in his attic or is selling his collection. What better way to get him to call YOU than offering the most money? And, any savvy dealer if ever faced with a true 9.4 Action #1 could very easily talk its condition (and price) down to half of that.
Jay Parrino had an ad in last year's Overstreet specifically offering a million bucks for a CGC 9.4 copy of Action #1; I haven't checked this year's to see if he's still running the same ad. Since he specifically says CGC 9.4 and even has a picture of an Action #1 inside a CGC case with a doctored CGC label reading "Action Comics #1 CGC 9.4", and since he's big into setting "highest price paid" records, I'd say it's a much more credible offer than you're describing.

yes, I believe Parrino would actually pay a million for a 9.4 Action #1. But you and I both know he is the only dealer who WOULD pay that much. And, furthermore, we both know that its really a hollow offer since the only copy that MIGHT be a 9.4 is the Mile High...and Dave has said he has turned down twice that much....

But it sure makes an attention grabbing headline as the biggest buyer on the block with the biggest wad in the business!

But I wonder if he would still buy it i fit had the colortouch some say it does??

Does Tracey Heft remember where he heard that story? And do YOU believe it??

But it sure makes an attention grabbing headline as the biggest buyer on the block with the biggest wad in the business!

Thats all it is, a publicity stunt. Another dealer could quite safely offer $5 million in the knowledge that he wouldn't be taken up on it. I don't think we will be seeing any 'surprise' copies of Action #1 popping up after 65 years.

The color touched Mile High copy is a strange one. Wouldn't it be worth, given the current distain for restoration, getting the restoration removed from the book?

Also it depends on how much color touch there is. CGC give out Universal labels for GA books with minor amounts (rightly or wrongly).

"There really is not a good reason to have issues grouped together by 10s - and even though this is the Golden Age thread Spider-man provides the best example of this. There is NO WAY Spidey #30 should be grouped with any of the 20s issues, heck it shouldn't even be worth as much as any of the 30s issues - it's got to be the worst of the first 51 Spideys". -zillatoy

Zillatoy: I know you have a vast experience with incredible books and so your opinion is worth something. But, as a counterpoint, I think ASM 30 has a cool cover, (I particularly like the watertowers on the cover and the spotlighted figures). Also, I love all the books with the "Marvel Pop-Art Productions" logo. But I do agree that listing books in groups of 10 is arbitrary. Again, I know this is off-topic, but I do like that Spidey 30 cover...

Heft replied to me via e-mail and said he had no direct knowledge of the Mile High Action #1 being restored but that he had heard the story several times. So who knows if it's true.

(Perpetuating thread drift here ....)

and Dave has said he has turned down twice that much

Where was this reported at ...? It's little anecdotes like this that appeal to me .... laugh.gif

(Trying to eliminate thread drift here ....)

Heft replied to me via e-mail and said he had no direct knowledge of the Mile High Action #1 being restored but that he had heard the story several times. So who knows if it's true.

James, would you care to cross-post this in the "Best Action #1" thread? I'd do it myself, but I'm too lazy! wink.gifsmile.gifwink.gif

Al

There is NO WAY Spidey #30 should be grouped with any of the 20s issues, heck it shouldn't even be worth as much as any of the 30s issues - it's got to be the worst of the first 51 Spideys

Spidey #30 is actualy a pretty good issue, and a nice change of pace in the run from the usual foe with super powers picking on Spider-Man. And comicparadox is right, it does have a cool cover.

The worst ASM in the first 51, by a stretch, is #38. I figure Ditko was sticking the knife into Stan before he left the book.

interesting...

Well, now that Borack is involved in our discussion (in the Action 1 thread), and he knows all the big boys, perhaps he can be persuaded to tell us:

1) whether he ever heard this story,

2) whether he believed it, and

3) whether he checked it out with Dave Anderson at any time

plus

4) if not, will he check it out now!

Whaddya say, Steve?

I think ASM 30 has a cool cover, (I particularly like the watertowers on the cover and the spotlighted figures)

I think its a very cool cover.

There had never been (to my knowledge back then) a cover where the lead character was so tiny!!! It was a radical design....where's the huge Spidey in a fistfight?? It will never sell!!