• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Cons
2 2

36 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, Midcall said:

These shows were awesome, just the right size. Top tier guests and autographs were free :x

20220712_144045.thumb.jpg.35bfd959f31bc273a49ff0586f827616.jpg

I much preferred the larger Seattle Center Flag Pavilion convention circa 1987 to 1991. They had dealers drive in from Spokane, WA, Portland, OR, Victoria, BC and Detroit, MI. No Pokemon or Funko Pops back then so con was 80% comics, art, some vintage toys, board games, puzzles. Wide aisles so u did not feel too crushed.

On 7/12/2022 at 1:41 PM, Galen130 said:

I've only attended one Comic Con.  It was the San Diego CC in 2000.  I still have the program for it somewhere.  I didn't buy anything, or attend any events.  It was too crowded.  Now, 20 plus years later, my PTSD includes panic attacks if I'm in large crowds and people are too close to me.  I don't do Cons because of that, nor would I pay the money nowadays.  I'm a low-profile type of collector. lol

I was in San Diego during that time and couldn’t park anywhere it was so crazy…but we didn’t go to the comic con.

On 7/12/2022 at 4:13 PM, Ryan. said:

2004 was the last SDCC I attended as well. Drank a bunch of margaritas at a cantina nearby then wandered in a haze around the convention floor. Good times.

If you can remember it, you were at least one margarita short.

I have went to a lot of comic conventions since 1992. My first one I ever attended was the Chicago Comicon 92(at age 14) with all of the Image creators together (except Jim Lee...his wife was having a baby). They were in a huge outdoors tent in Rosemont. I talked to the Wizard guys for awhile and got some books signed by the Image Guys. I then went to Chicago Comic book conventions every year since. C2E2, Wizard World Chicago, etc. I've gone to I-Con, an Iowa comic convention. I've gone to few other cons over the US but never to SDCC though not for lack of trying. Conventions sure have changed over the years. They've gone from comic only shows to celebrity shows(with hardly a handful of creators). I have met and gained many friends over the years. It is so nice to be able to talk with and spend time with people who are just as excited about the hobby as you are. 

I've bought original comic art, picked up sketches from many artists, searched long boxes for hidden comic book gems, gone to panels, watched cosplay contests, gone to drink and draws, live art auctions, etc. It was a blast and a lot of fun. 

I've also noticed that my excitement has gone down over the past few years and only attend one day instead of all three or four days. My son is older now and it usually ends up with just me going. It is still fun to meet my comic artist and writer friends. I enjoy going out for dinner and spending evenings with them. I usually find myself exhausted at the end of the day, but I still can't see myself not going to at least one show each year. I still have all my programs and tickets/badges from everyone of them. 

It is a very rewarding experience and everyone should go to one at least once. Whatever size you feel comfortable with.

SDCC is fun to experience at least once in your lifetime, but tickets are hard to score and are also very expensive. I recommend checking out a local one first… there are so many happening throughout the year. Then try one of the big city cons.

If you are after older books and Golden Age, check out Heroes in Charlotte and BaltimoreCon.

If back issues are your thing, especially Gold and Silver-- you can't beat Heroes, Emerald City or Baltimore Comic Con-- those are the only "true" comic cons out there for the most part.  I've done every big show and a lot of the smaller ones and there really is no comparison.  SDCC and NYCC are great if you want the spectacle of pop culture, are into new toys and statues, or want to meet a celebrity, but for comics go with one of the ones listed above.  The Little Giant Show in New Hampshire is a very small show devoted only to old comics-- it was a nice small show but the venue is lousy and the air conditioning was non-existent so they need to find a new spot for it.

If you do a little local show you can get a flavor for cons, but they'll have a lot of modern and copper stuff.

I grew up in San Diego so would go to the Con every year late 70's to pretty much the entire 80's. Went back in 2005 and didn't enjoy it like I did. Moved to Seattle area in 2007 and hit the Emerald City Comic Con a few times, but getting older and pickier. Now prefer the Washington State Summer Con that's been around the last few years. Feels like early years SDCC and can actually talk to the artists, and they get a pretty decent lineup of celebs.

On 7/25/2022 at 6:54 PM, AndyFish said:

If back issues are your thing, especially Gold and Silver-- you can't beat Heroes, Emerald City or Baltimore Comic Con-- those are the only "true" comic cons out there for the most part.  I've done every big show and a lot of the smaller ones and there really is no comparison.  SDCC and NYCC are great if you want the spectacle of pop culture, are into new toys and statues, or want to meet a celebrity, but for comics go with one of the ones listed above.  The Little Giant Show in New Hampshire is a very small show devoted only to old comics-- it was a nice small show but the venue is lousy and the air conditioning was non-existent so they need to find a new spot for it.

If you do a little local show you can get a flavor for cons, but they'll have a lot of modern and copper stuff.

I appreciate your insight!  Thank you.