• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 First Print
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,  

I finally dug out all my comics after 20yrs of storage.  This one is my prized possession out of my 18 long boxes.  

The condition as it shows is how I bought it in 1990.  I read it once then re-bagged and tucked it away since then.  

The inner pages are in great condition, no corner damage like the cover has.  

Also, does anyone think this might be a candidate for restoration? 

Thanks everyone for your input!  

TMNT 1 Back.jpg

TMNT 1 BackInside.jpg

TMNT 1 Front.jpg

TMNT 1 FrontInside.jpg

Grading with maybe some light C&P to maximize appearance, yes. Restoration, no IMO. I'm not in the restoration game and obviously this is a big ticket book, but my impression is collectors would rather have an "untouched" book with a few dings, rather than a book that's been restored book and looks like a higher grade but carries a purple label. This looks like a 7.5±0.5 to me with the overall appearance coming off better (i.e. it presents well) since the few stress marks and the one corner crease really stand out b/c of the black cover. My impression is that restoration is primarily for big ticket books that are falling apart from age or have a major defect that really makes the book look bad. Typically, Golden Age stuff that's seen some things. I've even heard appraisers scold people for restoring books that were not in that bad condition. My uneducated guess is that you would not gain much from restoring/grading vs. C&P/grading in terms of a sale price or insurance appraisal.

So far I've had no takers for the *very* crisp $10 bill (chance at a 9.9) I've offered for several books, so it's still on the table if you're interested.