• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther 1
2 2

3 posts in this topic

Looking at this book but has maybe a 1/2 inch color breaking tic. The rest of the book looks very good but wanted to get an idea as to how many points CGC would bump it down before I send it in for the Campbell singing. Thanks in advance. 

905D8275-4F78-4DFB-9E7A-307DAFC33904.png

Thanks for your post. Before someone else chimes in, I'll let you know that a full front and back cover is preferred even if you're asking about a specific defect. This was the first thing I learned when I posted here a few weeks ago, so it happens all the time.

I've got this book too, with a couple of 3-4 very small stress marks on the spine and I ultimately decided not to send it. If the tic is deemed manufacturing (I doubt it), this may be handled less harshly. My fear would be that this is considered a single moderate defect, which would knock you down to 8.5. I would imagine the best case scenario is a 9.0. Given that the private signing/grading rate is close to the Standard Tier price, I think the book needs to come close to being a $400 book (or have some personal value to the collector). The highest recent sales for 9.6s are south of $300, around $250. 8.5s/9.0s would go for $200. As people in the sig room would probably tell you, if it's the JSC signed book you want, then go ahead. If you just want it graded, then you can probably get this done for ~1/2 the fee through standard Modern Tier grading. At least for me, I had a few alterative JSCs to consider, so it was easy to exclude mine which is maybe a 9.0 and certainly no better than a 9.2. I'll kick the tires of trying to find a better BP1 (or lose interest) since JSC seems to be a regular private signing visitor.

Edited by scburdet