• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

missing pages question

10 posts in this topic

ok trying to understand something. assume ya'll can help. 

i sent in my FF annual 2 to CGC. just got the grade and it noted misssing pages 7-8-9  , affects story. 

i knew it was missing 6 pages . 13 to 28 which is pinup pages drawn by Kirby , not part of the story. again missing yes .

so can i assume when they say missing pages 7 8 9 they are counting the pages as page 1&2 are 1 , pages 3 &4 are 2 etc. so when they say missing pages 7 8 9 they are talking pages 13 to 18?

and if so why not just mention the real page numbers. someone seeing missing pages 7 8 9 would think its missing the best part of the story when Doom gets injured and blames Reed.  and also my missing pinup pictures are yes missing pages but it should not say affects story. 

am i wrong ?

just curious

I think they count the "leafs" as "pages," so one of their "pages" is the front and back of a sheet.  So yes, you interpreted it correctly.

Someone like yourself who wasn't familiar with that might be fooled in the way you describe, but I would think anyone who's dealt with missing pages notated by CGC before would probably be hip to the jive.

thank you very much. 

im still dont think pin up art of super villians between the 2 stories should be call missing pages affects story.

it does not

it shipping back to me now. 

this is what it says.

Grader Notes:
missing interior part/page/wrap page(s) 7, 8 & 9 affects story

t.

i see it now.

and yes i sent in a few personal books i have had for years to display.  these are not books to sell but i still don't like the notes saying affects story. but anyway thank you everyone. i appreciate the help and explanations.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, Ice Cream Bunny said:

See where it says "wrap"?

Just to clarify for OP, the term wrap refers to the entire page of paper before it's stapled and folded. For example, on a standard saddle-stitched comic the first interior wrap has pages 1/2 and 31/32.

On a folded comic book, If you tear out the first page of the comic, then you've torn out pages 1 and 2. If you left enough paper behind, then the other half of the wrap (pages 31 and 32) is still stapled in and can be found at the back of the folded book.

Edited by KirbyTown
got rid of "ackchyually"

On 7/16/2022 at 4:53 AM, KPR Comics said:

Isn’t Annual 2 square bound?  If so, do they use wraps or individual pages?

You're right, it's a square-bound! On square-bounds the manufacturer would use stacks of wraps, glue, and the cover around it all:

F15F4427-42C0-4BAF-B214-0BA90CE88AB9.jpeg.dafcfac002dafc9fa04adee460dde79a.jpeg

That's a 68-page Giant-Size Defenders #4 in the screen-cap. In this video, we witness the mad scientist introducing a belt sander to the spine's residual glue after cover removal. (video property of Rick Morgan, ImmaculateComics.com )

Edited by KirbyTown