• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing and Regrading Cgc 9.6s

12 posts in this topic

It really depends why they are a 9.6. I've seen and owned  9.6s with color breaking spine tics. A press can't fix that and they were probably lucky to be 9.6s 

If they are 9.6s because of a small non color breaking crease or finger print, a press and clean may bump the grade. And it may not.... 

So if you really care about slightly improving the grade, I would carefully look over each book and look for addressable defects. Graders notes may help, but 9.6s often don't have graders notes. 

On 7/16/2022 at 8:43 AM, Mutieloverx said:

If I send in 5 cgc 9.6s to be pressed and regraded, what are the odds of get back 9.8s or less than 9.6?

If you have the books in front of you, type in their barcodes here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

If there are notes on any books they will be at the bottom of the page.

Post those notes here and the odds of fruitful discussion will also improve! 😜

What kind of data are you interested in that would support an answer you’re comfortable with?

sample size? Error rates? Standard deviations?  Does it matter the age of the comic or the brand or type of paper used? Possibly the age of the slab?

To me the odds of all five comics staying exactly the same grade are pretty low.  Hopefully that helps.

On 7/16/2022 at 3:06 PM, revat said:

What kind of data are you interested in that would support an answer you’re comfortable with?

sample size? Error rates? Standard deviations?  Does it matter the age of the comic or the brand or type of paper used? Possibly the age of the slab?

To me the odds of all five comics staying exactly the same grade are pretty low.  Hopefully that helps.

Agreed. The way CGC physically manhandles comics now, coupled with zero quality control, odds are high 1 of the books will be damaged to a 9.2 or lower.

Reason I would want to do this is that there are many books that 9.8s are just too expensive. I can get 3 9.6s for the price for 1 9.8. Would It be worth it?  Could I crack and press and get 2 9.8s for the price of 1.

On 7/18/2022 at 2:01 AM, Mutieloverx said:

Reason I would want to do this is that there are many books that 9.8s are just too expensive. I can get 3 9.6s for the price for 1 9.8. Would It be worth it?  Could I crack and press and get 2 9.8s for the price of 1.

Doubtful. For any chance of success in resubmitting a 9.6 to become a 9.8 you would need to carefully examine the book in-hand and decide that the 9.6 was assessed solely because of a press-able defect like a bump to a corner. The tiniest break in the cover ink would render the book ineligible for the proposed game.

Consider that even if you did the best of everything on your side of the attempt, the determination of 9.6 vs. 9.8 is completely at the whim of CGC and it doesn't have to be justified.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/18/2022 at 12:01 AM, Mutieloverx said:

Ya gotta ask yourself, do you feel lucky.... second question should be has the book already been pressed?

The defects between a 9.8 and 9.6 are so minute that, unless this is a long term investment, it may be worth the savings for a book that displays just as well, if not better than, the all holy 9.8.

Edited by jokiing
one more thing....

Based on my resubs for Sig Series, most 9.6's have come back as 9.6 without grader notes but did recently have a 9.6 X-Men Annual 14 come back as a 9.8. I've mostly had success with lower grades moving up to 9.2 - 9.4 as long as there's no color breaks, etc. that pressing can't remedy.