• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I absolutely hate passing on a book I shouldn't (Rant thread)
1 1

14 posts in this topic

There it was sitting on the shelf...ASM 2. Freaking #2!

It looked nice for it's age. An easy 6-6.5 or maybe a 7. Guys I have absolutely no idea what I was thinking...I wowed over it and the guy at the shop said "Yea we just got it in". I asked what the price was ($1,500) and I could afford it. I even said "Wow that is a really good price!"

Then I walked out to think it over. This was at 5:30pm and they close at 7pm. Quickly came to my sense and the next morning she was gone. That one will hurt for a long time.

On 7/19/2022 at 7:05 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Being successful at life has to do, in part at least, with applying this kind of painful lesson to future experiences.  The good news is you're in fine company around here - I doubt there's anyone who hasn't been in your shoes.

I guess the silver lining is I walked away with a ASM 5 and 12. Still.....They aren't a #2.

Been there of course, but I’ve also had those “right time, right place” experiences, too. I like to concentrate on those.
No avoiding missing out on books, unless you get crazy rich. 

On 7/19/2022 at 3:33 PM, KCode98 said:

It looked nice for it's age. An easy 6-6.5 or maybe a 7. Guys I have absolutely no idea what I was thinking...I wowed over it and the guy at the shop said "Yea we just got it in". I asked what the price was ($1,500) and I could afford it. I even said "Wow that is a really good price!"

Then I walked out to think it over. This was at 5:30pm and they close at 7pm. Quickly came to my sense and the next morning she was gone. That one will hurt for a long time.

Always good to use a fact-based approach in making decisions like this.  GPA has a Spider-Man 2 in 6.0 selling at $5208 in March 2022.  So it would have made it a relative no-brainer to purchase unless there was a suspected restoration issue with the book.  I know hindsight is 20/20 - but at least you can take a more analytical approach to reduce feeling the regret after the fact.

On 7/19/2022 at 6:33 PM, KCode98 said:

It was Color touched.  Forget about it. 

On 7/19/2022 at 6:33 PM, KCode98 said:

You should have asked the guy to put it on hold for you...

On 7/20/2022 at 12:34 PM, pemart1966 said:

You should have asked the guy to put it on hold for you...

The place is very cranky and low volume. Impossible to even get small talk out of them. The price is the price and no favors will be done, tried before. In fact they are down right rude at some times. So that wouldn't have worked...

On 7/20/2022 at 12:57 PM, KCode98 said:

The place is very cranky and low volume. Impossible to even get small talk out of them. The price is the price and no favors will be done, tried before. In fact they are down right rude at some times. So that wouldn't have worked...

I doubt you missed out on anything. No shop's going to put it up for $1,500 unless it's worth far less.