• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this "orange" Devil Dinosaur #1 faded or color print error?

50 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2022 at 3:19 PM, ExNihilo said:

I'm thinking troll because it's Friday and because I can't imagine someone lacking such a basic understanding of market economics.  Not in this hobby at least.

You might be surprised at the number of people just on these boards that don't understand basic market economics. They can usually be found whining about how books X & Y don't have the same relative values as Incredible Hulk 180 & 181, despite being only superficially similar.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:11 AM, JohnCarter1912 said:

But buyers don't determine value of comic-book. Buyer may be willing to pay $1 for Superman #1... Superman #1 will not be sold for that price. 

If Superman #1 will not be sold for that price, at what price WILL it be sold??? At whatever price a BUYER pays for it.

Now to the main issue: That Devil Dinosaur is faded MAGENTA.  The color "red" is not an ink used in this 4-color process. There would be absolutely no HINT of even light orange if the magenta ink was not there. Those light orange areas can only be the result of yellow and magenta. The magenta is faded but not 100% - enough is left to create that pale orange. If the magenta ink were not printed it would just be yellow. 

As regards your  "Don't we value Amazing Spider-Man #375 with WHITE printing error on cover MOSTLY because it is extremely rare? Right now it is going for $124,000 on ebay." Anything can "go for" anything someone wants to list it for. It means squat. Not sure just who the "we" is that is supposed to value it so highly.

Didn't you used to have to answer a riddle from a troll?  I'm weak on my knowledge of all that kind of thing.   I don't think we're crossing any bridges anytime soon.  Clearly sun fading-- red always goes first, and sellers determine the price but buyers determine the value-- if those two things don't correlate then the seller needs to lower their price or sit on an item until someone is willing to pay said price.  But in the end, the buyer is the one with the cash.

Let me just run down the responses in one concise post. 

• Faded
  • Not worth it since it doesn't have a back cover on what is a common book.
  • People often reach for the stars
  • I feel like this is someone having fun at everyone else's expense.
  • IBTL

On 7/28/2022 at 11:26 PM, KirbyTown said:

omg can someone lock his thread already, it's like a vicious magnet with magnet teeth

But wether it attracts or repels depends on the orientation of the magnet to the magnet teeth.