• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Entering the 'Exclusive' Comic Market

20 posts in this topic

Apologies in advance if there is a topic discussing this already.
Skimmed and didn't see one.
Also didn't see an email come through from CGC about this, even after receiving numerous Signature Series emails.
Perhaps this announcement was made at SDCC?

What does the 'CGC Collector Hive Mind' think of this?

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10414/CGC-BIG-TIME-COLLECTIBLE-EXCLUSIVE/

Capture.JPG

On 7/23/2022 at 11:58 AM, Qalyar said:

Forgot about these. There was a 4001 AD CGC cover, too, as I recall. 

Valiant did a series of covers where it looked like the book was already CGC slabbed, but it was just "artwork" on the cover (regular paper, regular size, no slab).

4k1_cgc.jpg.caed92c87f6f3de30cb7ee4ab74ef7f7.jpg

The book still had to be submitted (like a regular book) to CGC, and there was nothing exclusive about the CGC variant (it was an "order all" variant for all comic shops).

2041251259_1339656018_12001.jpg.c9a8057d1ba12d3629e882c02d656b2e.jpg

Edited by valiantman

On 7/23/2022 at 1:07 PM, valiantman said:

Valiant did a series of covers where it looked like the book was already CGC slabbed, but it was just "artwork" on the cover (regular paper, regular size, no slab).

4k1_cgc.jpg.caed92c87f6f3de30cb7ee4ab74ef7f7.jpg

The book still had to be submitted (like a regular book) to CGC, and there was nothing exclusive about the CGC variant (it was an "order all" variant for all comic shops).

2041251259_1339656018_12001.jpg.c9a8057d1ba12d3629e882c02d656b2e.jpg

Ah, well, I clearly misremembered how that worked. That's ... actually pretty funny, really. Since it uses the CGC logo and such, I have to assume the company did at least give them the go-ahead, though.

On 7/23/2022 at 1:17 PM, Qalyar said:

Ah, well, I clearly misremembered how that worked. That's ... actually pretty funny, really. Since it uses the CGC logo and such, I have to assume the company did at least give them the go-ahead, though.

Oh yeah, it was legit.  Anyone with a Diamond account could get it: https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR161794

On 7/23/2022 at 11:06 AM, Troy Division said:

What does the 'CGC Collector Hive Mind' think of this?

I'm shocked they are doing this.  It is a massive conflict of interest, and for not very much money. 

It will probably be fine, but CGC should be careful ... they can take only so many hits to their reputation.  It took YEARS to get past the persistent rumors of high-end grade selling.  And their fall in consistency the last couple years is already hurting them.

They must be under a lot of pressure from Blackstone to keep jacking up profits.

I'm looking forward to CGC selling the "CGC Slab Kit", or some such name, that one can purchase and slab their own comic books.

"Tired of having to grade comic books to decide which to submit to CGC. Tired of having to carefully package your comic books so that they reach CGC exactly as they left your hands? Tired of having to ship you comic books, paying more and more to do so, to CGC? Tired of ... Well, you get it. If you're tired, then CGC has the answer to your woes, the fabulous, spectacular, stupendous, DIY "CGC Slab Kit". Slab your own comics at home and avoid all these hassles. Slabbing is easy, creative, fun, an activity the entire family can enjoy and, perhaps most importantly, educational. Put your grading skills to work and maybe even make money."

"Don't be a slob, be a slabber!"

"The CGC Slab Kit" comes with all you need to slab five comic books. Grading and slabbing ability as well as enjoyment, family participation, and learning are not guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed, implied or otherwise."

"Slabber is solely responsible for damage to or destruction of comic books."

"Cost per fabulous "CGC Slab Kit" (a cheap give-away price): $500.00, plus applicable tax and shipping."

"Slab away!"

"CGC reserves forever the right to change anything at anytime."

:flipbait::wink:

On 7/30/2022 at 5:26 AM, Troy Division said:

Someone posted their copy on Reddit.
The foil cover 'example' image from bigtimecollectibles does not appear to match the reality of the cover.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbookcollecting/comments/wankr1/the_artist_mico_suayan_got_the_pair_of_1s_of/

33kqfurjzde91.jpg

Batman125_ARTICLE (1)20220722141252767.jpg

Is it me or does that guy's copies look really wavy?

Special run of only 300 copies white-gloved directly to CGC and they're only 9.8s?

Where's the Quality Control?

On 7/30/2022 at 1:42 AM, Tedsaid said:

I'm shocked they are doing this.  It is a massive conflict of interest, and for not very much money. 

It will probably be fine, but CGC should be careful ... they can take only so many hits to their reputation.  It took YEARS to get past the persistent rumors of high-end grade selling.  And their fall in consistency the last couple years is already hurting them.

They must be under a lot of pressure from Blackstone to keep jacking up profits.

Conflict of interest? CGC? No way. Never.