• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's AVENGERS: DOOMSDAY directed by the Russo brothers (2026)
11 11

472 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2024 at 9:27 AM, VintageComics said:

Forgot to mention, Doom also has ties to Mephisto so that's another angle. 

Yeah! Weren't we supposed to get Mephisto at some point?

On 9/4/2024 at 11:33 AM, Dr. Balls said:

That's what everyone speculated on. 

Doom's mom made a pact with Mephisto in the comics, so that may work it's way into the MCU somehow. 

Certainly, the Dr. Strange angle is one possible way. 

On 9/4/2024 at 11:33 AM, Dr. Balls said:
On 9/4/2024 at 11:27 AM, VintageComics said:

Forgot to mention, Doom also has ties to Mephisto so that's another angle. 

They dropped a bunch of hints in Wandavision that tied to Mephisto as well as other villains--in particular High Evolutionary--but they all turned out to be easter egg trolls and it was "Agatha All Along."

I generally enjoyed Wandavision, but putting THAT many easter egg hints into a series and then having ALL of them go nowhere was pretty frustrating.  :eyeroll:  I mean, WHY did they do that?  Why string along the hardest of your hardcore audience and then yank the rug out at the end?  :makepoint:

Edited by fantastic_four

I said all this already, months ago. The heroes get defeated by Galactus. Doom steals Galactus' powers (or the Molecule Man's if they introduce that character), defeats him and then the heroes have to find a way to defeat Doom.

It's a hybrid of the 1984 Secret Wars and 2015 Secret Wars storyline, with more of the 2015 woven in if they include the multiverses/incursions.

And I do not think they will ever shut the door on the multiverse concept.  The multiverse is an easy way for Marvel / Disney to introduce new versions of the same character to explain real life situations of which studios hold the rights to certain characters and actor contracts.   I do not believe the concept of the multiverse is ever truly going away.  Even if Secret Wars resolves that or collapses it to consolidate certain things, I expect there to be a tag scene at the end as a teaser that it truly never went away.   Perhaps a character that we thought was "gone"  find themselves sitting in a bar somewhere like they did with Tom Hardy and Venom.

On 9/4/2024 at 1:28 PM, Buzzetta said:

And I do not think they will ever shut the door on the multiverse concept.  The multiverse is an easy way for Marvel / Disney to introduce new versions of the same character to explain real life situations of which studios hold the rights to certain characters and actor contracts.   I do not believe the concept of the multiverse is ever truly going away.  Even if Secret Wars resolves that or collapses it to consolidate certain things, I expect there to be a tag scene at the end as a teaser that it truly never went away.   Perhaps a character that we thought was "gone"  find themselves sitting in a bar somewhere like they did with Tom Hardy and Venom.

All I can say is, it better be Dolph Lundgren’s Punisher sitting in that bar.

On 9/4/2024 at 11:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

I generally enjoyed Wandavision, but putting THAT many easter egg hints into a series and then having ALL of them go nowhere was pretty frustrating.  :eyeroll:  I mean, WHY did they do that?  Why string along the hardest of your hardcore audience and then yank the rug out at the end?  :makepoint:

It's kind of like manufactured collectibles. It's a manufactured rush that fizzles out quick with no substance. 

They probably did it because they have no real, good ideas in the tank. 

On 9/4/2024 at 2:18 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I said all this already, months ago. The heroes get defeated by Galactus. Doom steals Galactus' powers (or the Molecule Man's if they introduce that character), defeats him and then the heroes have to find a way to defeat Doom.

It's a hybrid of the 1984 Secret Wars and 2015 Secret Wars storyline, with more of the 2015 woven in if they include the multiverses/incursions.

They're definitely going to do some sort of hybrid storyline, because that's what the entire MCU has become.

What I DON'T like is that it took Marvel *how many movies* to tease Thanos?

And here we have Doom, arguably one of Marvel's best villains of all time, already in the title of an upcoming movie. That's the part that doesn't build confidence in me.

It feels like another cheap sugar rush, meant to draw attention but it's not a complex carb because there has been no real buildup to create the complexity that everyone craves.

What everyone is really craving is the long, slow, quality buildup. I wish Marvel would understand that, but it seems that they don't.

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/4/2024 at 12:50 PM, VintageComics said:

What I DON'T like is that it took Marvel *how many movies* to tease Thanos?

And here we have Doom, arguably one of Marvel's best villains of all time, already in the title of an upcoming movie. That's the part that doesn't build confidence in me.

Marvel needs to take a spin around reddit and learn what "edging" is and apply it to the Doom scenario - because I agree. Not enough buildup to the payoff. I totally tilted at the first Avengers end credit scene seeing my boy for the first time and the Infinity story finally being revealed.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 9/5/2024 at 1:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Marvel needs to take a spin around reddit and learn what "edging" is and apply it to the Doom scenario - because I agree. Not enough buildup to the payoff. I totally tilted at the first Avengers end credit scene seeing my boy for the first time and the Infinity story finally being revealed.

"to challenge them, is to court death." and then Thanos turns and smiles.

I loved that reveal, and further because it told me they were going to do the story from the comics about courting Death. Is too bad they felt the need to change it but in the end I still liked what they did until End Game.

On 9/5/2024 at 3:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I agree with you to a small degree, in that they might learn what people dislike about their films, but at the same time I wonder if they are putting too much effort into listening to what focus groups and others say about their movies because they've lost the entire point of the movie. 

The point is the story telling.  doh!

We've already read all the threads and had the discussions.

Corporate heads have social justice agendas to virtue signal and sell their self worth (ESG scores), marketing managers need to sell toys (as we saw in another Marvel movie thread where a female character was demoted because her toys wouldn't sell as well), distributors need to sell tickets (gotta take into account geo-politics - can't offend a country or a group where our movies will be marketed)...and all of this has directly affected the stories.

The story is no longer the point of the story. The profit is the point of the story. lol

Basically, what is happening is that they're trying to make people believe it's an organic story, but they switch out elements of stories and replace them with elements that they think will sell better...and then they wonder why the fail.

They fail because people innately have these built in BS meters sniffing the out the garbage. It's the same innate sense that reacts when someone is telling a lie. 

Often, you can't quite figure out WHY it's BS, but you know it's BS nonetheless, and won't put up with it.

Meanwhile, all these execs are trying to coverup the fact that it's BS with marketing, smoke and mirrors and keep shovelling it down your throat. 

They're convinced if they do it hard enough and for long enough that you won't be able to notice it any longer.

The execs can't stop shovelling it because all of their success now is predicated on them shovelling it down your throat. That's the slippery slope they set up when the first exec to choose profit over storytelling so many years ago. Once you start something on a lie, it can't be stopped without some sort of pain. 

The right thing would be to allow the market to take a correction. Corrections are healthy. When there's a correction, you take a loss, regroup and start doing it right again, moving onward and upward. That takes honesty, austerity and taking a small financial hit but the corporate boardroom won't allow the short time of honesty, austerity and taking the short term financial hit - even if it'll mean much more profit later.

So they keep shovelling their garbage down your throat, telling you that you'll like it, simply because they won't do the right thing and change their own act and suffer the consequences of their decision to not put the artform first. 

It's them or you, and far better you suffer than they do. Rinse, repeat. 

That's really the last 5 years of Western society in a nutshell. 

Edited by VintageComics