• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic-Con: Any interesting transactions this year?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2022 at 1:30 PM, grapeape said:

Would Bechara make room in the circle of trust? I say no charge to the collector exhibitors!! But maybe the guys in the room wouldn’t want competition? I think they’d like a shot at seeing art come out so it could work for everyone.

Dinesh and I have brought several portfolios to one of these previously and set up a table.  It was fun to let people flip through our stuff and chat about some of the significance.  Some of those very pages are now being featured in the Spider-Man: Beyond Amazing exhibit at the SDCC Museum.  

On 7/30/2022 at 8:24 PM, Xatari said:

Dinesh and I have brought several portfolios to one of these previously and set up a table.  It was fun to let people flip through our stuff and chat about some of the significance.  Some of those very pages are now being featured in the Spider-Man: Beyond Amazing exhibit at the SDCC Museum.  

Yeah that’s great. I’ve also enjoyed the portfolios attendees bring and private sale opportunities that arise between collectors. I think that’s the right idea but let’s add even more exhibitors and consistency to build up attendance. 

Mitch we’ll have to come visit you on your side of the country.

On 7/30/2022 at 1:12 PM, pemart1966 said:

SD and NYCC have become too bloated and too expensive.  They're both multimedia circuses trying to span the pop culture universe - something for everyone under one gigantic roof.

The time is right to get back to grass roots and spin off the comics/original art portions and have cons that focus solely on these two interests.  

I’ll probably skip NY this year. Too much junk, and I am trying to stay away from commissions. 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:19 PM, artdealer said:

I’m curious. 
How much stock do you take in what dealers say about their sales at SD? 
Or raise an eyebrow?

I mean, who want to be known as the dealer who had a bad show?

Do you think some of these guys bend the truth a bit to make it seem what they sold supports the business? 

This really doesn’t surprise me. I think it’s somewhat reflected in the auction prices we are seeing on lower category stuff (which is probably the meat and potatoes of most dealers). And yet, some prices still stick high.