• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I being a doofus if I ship graded comics in this?
2 2

25 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2022 at 11:15 AM, manetteska said:

Can always keep a supply of Flat Rate Medium boxes on the side if/when that rate is cheaper than straight Priority.

My recollection is being dissatisfied with the way slabs fit into a Medium Flat Rate box.  When you closed it, the fit was so tight that the ends of the box bulged.  The slightest tap and you've got a damaged slab.  They really didn't fit at all, was the problem.  I think that is why people are looking for alternative methods.

You can still fit the 2021 sized 1092 boxes into a medium flat rate box.  It will be a snug fit, but it's still possible.

Like someone else said earlier, 1092s will still fit into 1095s, - but it's a tighter fit.  I will have to see how the 1097s fit into the equation.

- Just read an article that USPS is planning on increasing prices again starting this holiday season.  And shipment time is going to be extended for certain shipping methods. Yippee:ohnoez:

On 8/9/2022 at 8:56 PM, Lightning55 said:

My recollection is being dissatisfied with the way slabs fit into a Medium Flat Rate box.  When you closed it, the fit was so tight that the ends of the box bulged.  The slightest tap and you've got a damaged slab.  They really didn't fit at all, was the problem.  I think that is why people are looking for alternative methods.

I totally agree with You.  The slab is very snug on the ends of the medium flat rate box.  I use a 1092 inside a medium flat rate - and add a small piece of padding material on each end of the slab.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:45 PM, Lpgk said:

Just a warning I double box slabs in Priority Mail boxes and have had several damaged over the years. It won't protect you if they drop the box on a corner. 

That's why you only ship this way up to a certain value, one that you are comfortable with.  I don't go over $250 value with this method.   And insurance is there to cover the 1 out of 100 that get damaged. 

If you are shipping Priority by Commercial Rates, you get $100 coverage at no cost, and that will cover a reholder plus related expenses if you get a cracked slab.  As long as the comic itself is ok.  You can opt to insure to full value through USPS or any 3rd party site, but then the free $100 goes away.

I use Pirate Ship, and it's only 80 cents per $100.  For a $400 package, it's $3.20.  And then if you want, you can add Signature Confirmation to (almost) make sure they don't just leave it on the front steps.

Higher value packages get more and more protection - bigger boxes, triple boxed, multiple layers of padding between boxes, thicker boxes, etc.  It's worth the extra shipping cost I will incur due to weight to make sure it gets there intact. 

It's a common sense thing, and for those folks who like to gamble, a gut check.