• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fingerprints after cleaning?

6 posts in this topic

Last year I sent in two comic books to be cleaned ,pressed, and graded. Finally, today, I saw that everything is done and is due to be shipped to me tomorrow (7-25). After reviewing my order I saw my Predator #1 is graded a 7.5. Luckily I was given grader's notes and it said "there were spine stress lines to the cover and fingerprints on the cover". I thought pressing may take care of the stress lines but apparently not, so it is what it is. What confuses me is how are there fingerprints after I specifically paid to have CGC clean it? I understand dry cleaning may not fix the issue but I paid for a press and clean. FYI I have zero interest in selling these comics and I just want them for my personal collection so the grade doesn't really matter as much to me. I am curious if I am missing something here and I know you all probably have the answer. 

On 7/24/2022 at 7:35 PM, wolfbm said:

I thought pressing may take care of the stress lines but apparently not, so it is what it is. What confuses me is how are there fingerprints after I specifically paid to have CGC clean it? I understand dry cleaning may not fix the issue but I paid for a press and clean. I am curious if I am missing something here and I know you all probably have the answer. 

The answer is on the page, "CCS Services and FAQs."  Dry cleaning will not remove fingerprints that have stained the paper, and pressing will not restore color to color-breaking creases, stress lines, and/or spine ticks.  :foryou:

CCS.thumb.png.cbfd1db8bc2746def67631a9cc0b7653.png

The short answer: not all fingerprints are created equally, and not all comic book paper is created equally.

also, humans, even professionals can make mistakes potentially 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:35 PM, wolfbm said:

Last year I sent in two comic books to be cleaned ,pressed, and graded. Finally, today, I saw that everything is done and is due to be shipped to me tomorrow (7-25). After reviewing my order I saw my Predator #1 is graded a 7.5. Luckily I was given grader's notes and it said "there were spine stress lines to the cover and fingerprints on the cover". I thought pressing may take care of the stress lines but apparently not, so it is what it is. What confuses me is how are there fingerprints after I specifically paid to have CGC clean it? I understand dry cleaning may not fix the issue but I paid for a press and clean. FYI I have zero interest in selling these comics and I just want them for my personal collection so the grade doesn't really matter as much to me. I am curious if I am missing something here and I know you all probably have the answer. 

Hi wolfbm, thanks for the question!

New submitters are often unsure about which defects are suitable for a cleaning or pressing attempt. This can result in unreasonable expectations about the final grade they may receive. Many submitters are then disappointed with the grade they do receive and sometimes feel they got scammed or duped.

Regarding that, it is ultimately the responsibility of the submitter to educate themselves about all of the available services before they submit. 

It can also be helpful to take raw pics of your comics before submission so that you have a reference if you believe your books have been returned damaged. Even then, you have little recourse beyond a resubmission for mechanical errors.

I'm sorry that things didn't go the way you wanted, but every submission has considerable risks. If you plan on submitting again, please take advantage of the information available online.

Hope this helps,

Edited by KirbyTown