• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Fantasy Masterpieces series

15 posts in this topic

Hidden 💎s for sure. Goodman played his cards right re-casting the GA Torch and Cap stories and sticking that to Burgos and Simon. The battle issue reprints were always my favorite, but I wonder why they didn’t slide in Caps 1-2 reprints? 

It is very odd that they didn't do Cap 1 or 2. Maybe the original art or stats weren't readily available. Also interesting is that they only did the Simon & Kirby Caps and then they jumped to the 1950's Cap stories drawn by Romita. Romita's art style in the 1950's is almost unrecognizable compared to the style he developed in Spiderman.  

very professional dental work! Here's another interesting page with 4 things that were changed: the title was discarded altogether (can't have a horror hospital), a glove is in place of the claw fingers of Dr. Grimm, the words "sinister and inhuman" have become "dark and weird" and curiously the mansion door was removed.

Cap4c.jpg

On 7/25/2022 at 4:22 PM, Ameri said:

very professional dental work! Here's another interesting page with 4 things that were changed: the title was discarded altogether (can't have a horror hospital), a glove is in place of the claw fingers of Dr. Grimm, the words "sinister and inhuman" have become "dark and weird" and curiously the mansion door was removed.

Cap4c.jpg

Lots of stat changes on the OA 👀

I bought all the issues off the stands at the time and they were very popular among early collectors  at the time even with the 25 cents price tag. Great thread. I would say the best reproduction of the Cap stories and best volume I own is Timley's greatest: the golden age of Simon & Kirby Omnibus which contains all of S&K Timley material as well as some of the covers of the books they were in by other artists. Fantastic value on this one.

Edited by Mmehdy