• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holder Thickness
2 2

7 posts in this topic

New to graded comics and have sent several the past year to CGC. Just moments ago I received an order I sent that included 12 books for grading. All in all, happy with the grades, not so happy about the condition of the holders. I'm aware of how to handle getting them reholdered and all, but my question is about holder thickness. Of the 12 books, 5 came back in thicker holders (oddly enough, all 5 are blemished in some manner). They were all sent in for grading at the same time, they're all normal sized books (no trade paperback types), and 3 of them are the same title/issue as a 4th that came back in the standard holder (left in the image). Does anyone know if CGC changed their case design? I do have an older book in my collection that has a different holder than the one on the left (with the top "spine" label being on the outside of the case) so I'm confident in assuming the holders have changed design from time to time. Odd that part of my order is in one holder style and the other part in a different holder (including the same book just with different covers). Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

PXL_20220725_155734742.jpg

On 7/26/2022 at 5:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

My guess is that someone ran out of the regular-sized cases around their workstation and decided to use the thicker cases instead of going to get more of the regular ones. Otherwise, I'm not sure why the same issue would be in 2 different thicknesses.

If this was indeed the case, it may be within the scope of QC problems @CGC Mike has been flagging for CCG's new Quality Assurance Manager.  Choice of holder size should not be based on what's closest to the Encapsulation Room staff member's outstretched arm.  :facepalm:

On 7/26/2022 at 9:04 AM, zzutak said:

If this was indeed the case, it may be within the scope of QC problems @CGC Mike has been flagging for CCG's new Quality Assurance Manager.  Choice of holder size should not be based on what's closest to the Encapsulation Room staff member's outstretched arm.  :facepalm:

That's the key statement, as we members will not know what actually happened. I'm just struggling to think of an alternate scenario that makes more 'sense' as to how/why this happened.

Thanks all for replying. My take is that it's not a new holder/redesign, but one that already exists and is for thicker books and ultimately a QC issue combined with possible laziness (not wanting to get more holders.) Even worse is that all of them have scuffs or scratches too adding to the "QC" issue :(

On 7/26/2022 at 12:41 PM, CGC Mike said:

Could you post some pictures of the scuffs and scratches?

Without going to UPS and asking them to find my parcel, I cannot. I just sent them back for reholdering. Sadly, I'm becoming all to familiar with the return process for damaged holders. This one was bad since it was nearly half of my books had holder issues. The worst one I've encountered thus far was a book that needed to be sent back multiple times due to holder scuffs/scratches.