• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your thoughts on Checking Copies? (Info & Link to Poll within. Results are being submitted to CGC for consideration)

4 posts in this topic

Checking copies are a unique relic from the manufacturing process of comic books, and as such are a very interesting peek into the history of the comic book medium as it was printed back in its infancy - however CGC does not currently recognize these books in any way (Be it by their own unique notation, or by the common 'file copy' note).

The link below will take you to the full thread in the Golden Age forum where you can find more information on what Checking Copies are as well as the full poll.

I have already been told that the results of this poll will be passed along to CGC management for consideration, so please head on over to this post and let us know what you all think. While these books are most associated with Golden Age books, the opinion of all CGC customers is important and should be considered when making any push for label updates.

The poll will remain open for another week before I close it down and pass along the results.

Edited by Sauce Dog

I honestly don't know what to think of Checking Copies. After having read through the material when you first posted it, and again now, I am still in limbo as to whether or not I think CGC should recognize them as anything special. It's one of those things that I personally don't care about, so if CGC did notate them (or whatever), it wouldn't affect me.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:21 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I honestly don't know what to think of Checking Copies. After having read through the material when you first posted it, and again now, I am still in limbo as to whether or not I think CGC should recognize them as anything special. It's one of those things that I personally don't care about, so if CGC did notate them (or whatever), it wouldn't affect me.

As you imply, this is really is a very low stakes type change, especially since it amounts to basically a small addition to CGC's existing label keywords - though makes sense for them to acknowledge these odd items since CGC is positioned as the experts in the field of comics and have recognized other similar things like Pay Copy (all part of history and do have a unique story behind them - more so than the majority of File Copies out there). 

I'm not personally monetarily invested in it, I only own a single low grade book, but I must admit all my own interest in pedigrees (reading about them and exploring the history, then searching through auctions to see pictures of them - and now actually actively look out for them when I see them CGC graded) all came from CGCs notation and recognition - so if the same can be done for these and encourage more curiosity and exploration of how golden age books were made I'm all for it.

On 7/26/2022 at 3:16 PM, Sauce Dog said:

As you imply, this is really is a very low stakes type change, especially since it amounts to basically a small addition to CGC's existing label keywords - though makes sense for them to acknowledge these odd items since CGC is positioned as the experts in the field of comics and have recognized other similar things like Pay Copy (all part of history and do have a unique story behind them - more so than the majority of File Copies out there). 

I'm not personally monetarily invested in it, I only own a single low grade book, but I must admit all my own interest in pedigrees (reading about them and exploring the history, then searching through auctions to see pictures of them - and now actually actively look out for them when I see them CGC graded) all came from CGCs notation and recognition - so if the same can be done for these and encourage more curiosity and exploration of how golden age books were made I'm all for it.

I had not heard of a Pay Copy before. Personally, I think that CGC spends too much time already making different labels and label notes. 2c