• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Silver Surfer; Vol 1 #15 - Not proceeding with grading as damaged by CCS (Got my raw book back today)
3 3

46 posts in this topic

7.5/8.0 because of what I'd call moderate soiling. If it can be cleaned and pressed good, I don't see why an 8.5/9.0 isn't possible.

On 7/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, Deutero said:

2 issues to go to complete volume 1 :banana:

Nice!

Thanks for posting.

@grendelbo@scburdet@MrRoboto@jcjames@Mars76@CJ Design@Galen130

Received this email from CCS today :(

"I have some unfortunate news regarding your Silver Surfer #15 (4/70). Your book incurred some minor damage during pressing. The book had some color lift off between the wet and dry cycle on the back cover along the spine. This was just due to the book’s reaction to the process.

Our CCS Operations Manager would like to know if you still want the book graded and slabbed? He said the book would have been a 9.0 but is now closer to a 7.0."

I'm very upset about this, first time using CCS and I won't be using them again. In total I sent 4 comics to CCS and now i'm concerned about the other 3 (particularly as 2 of the 3 are much higher value). I would have used a different company but being a UK collector my options are limited (either no insurance or extremely long wait times). I've asked CCS to just send it back to me as I only sent it in as I was optimistic of a high grade.

Absolutely gutted :(

I don't sub anymore, but when I did I used an independent presser.  Maybe you should look into using a presser here in the states. (shrug)

Personally, even being in the UK, I would ask them to return the book at their expense before they screw up something else during grading.  Keep it boarded and bagged.

Just my opinion. (thumbsu

On 8/26/2022 at 5:05 PM, Galen130 said:

I don't sub anymore, but when I did I used an independent presser.  Maybe you should look into using a presser here in the states. (shrug)

Personally, even being in the UK, I would ask them to return the book at their expense before they screw up something else during grading.  Keep it boarded and bagged.

Just my opinion. (thumbsu

Thanks for the suggestion.

I submit via CGC UK (I send my submissions to them in London and they send to Florida) so I think a US presser would only work if they can also submit to CGC. I got some cleaning supplies recently and have done a bit of practise on some low value comics and I was thinking of getting a press in the future, so I might just learn myself.

I've told CCS I don't want it graded now and also asked them if work had started on my other comics (as if it hasn't I just want them to go directly to CGC). The other 3 comics were FF #6 (posted on here a while back), FF #67 (probably around a 6.0) and a very nice copy of Batman #181 that was from a Bat Pac so it was unread. I'm most concerned about the Batman #181 as that could be a big hit on value if it was to be damaged and dropped 2 points!

On 8/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, Deutero said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I submit via CGC UK (I send my submissions to them in London and they send to Florida) so I think a US presser would only work if they can also submit to CGC. I got some cleaning supplies recently and have done a bit of practise on some low value comics and I was thinking of getting a press in the future, so I might just learn myself.

I've told CCS I don't want it graded now and also asked them if work had started on my other comics (as if it hasn't I just want them to go directly to CGC). The other 3 comics were FF #6 (posted on here a while back), FF #67 (probably around a 6.0) and a very nice copy of Batman #181 that was from a Bat Pac so it was unread. I'm most concerned about the Batman #181 as that could be a big hit on value if it was to be damaged and dropped 2 points!

A few of the pressers that are here on the boards will directly submit to CGC for you.  You just have to figure out who, and what the shipping would be just to get the books to them.  I’m thinking the shipping would be higher if you shipped to the Midwest versus, say, Florida.  I honesty don’t know…

On 8/26/2022 at 8:54 AM, Deutero said:

"I have some unfortunate news regarding your Silver Surfer #15 (4/70). Your book incurred some minor damage during pressing. The book had some color lift off between the wet and dry cycle on the back cover along the spine. This was just due to the book’s reaction to the process.

Our CCS Operations Manager would like to know if you still want the book graded and slabbed? He said the book would have been a 9.0 but is now closer to a 7.0."

I'm very upset about this, first time using CCS and I won't be using them again. In total I sent 4 comics to CCS and now i'm concerned about the other 3 (particularly as 2 of the 3 are much higher value). I would have used a different company but being a UK collector my options are limited (either no insurance or extremely long wait times). I've asked CCS to just send it back to me as I only sent it in as I was optimistic of a high grade.

Oh wow! What a disaster! So sorry to hear that - they surely better compensate you monetarily for the damage they did!! 

I've only used one presser with a handful of books and that was @joeypost and he did phenomenal work on a couple of my books. 

Very sorry to hear that - what a shame! 

On 8/26/2022 at 6:04 PM, jcjames said:

Oh wow! What a disaster! So sorry to hear that - they surely better compensate you monetarily for the damage they did!! 

I've only used one presser with a handful of books and that was @joeypost and he did phenomenal work on a couple of my books. 

Thanks man.

I’ve asked them if there will be any compensation but I’m pretty sure I know what their response will be, as I’m sure they’ll have covered themselves in their T&Cs. 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:04 AM, jcjames said:

On 8/26/2022 at 11:10 AM, Deutero said:

Thanks man.

I’ve asked them if there will be any compensation but I’m pretty sure I know what their response will be, as I’m sure they’ll have covered themselves in their T&Cs. 

You could also try @Tony S. He's my presser. (thumbsu

On 8/26/2022 at 11:54 AM, Deutero said:

Wet and dry cycle?

On 8/26/2022 at 6:57 PM, joeypost said:

Wet and dry cycle?

(shrug)

1st time using CCS. I thought they just dry cleaned and even that I thought was minimal. As I thought the main service was pressing. Lesson learnt the hard way sadly :(