• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you list anything on CAF as historic...
1 1

108 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2022 at 7:17 PM, Infamouspure22 said:

What would an example of a truly historic piece look like?

I wouldn’t define it as necessarily story or art based at all. For example, the first published piece by Neal Adams is historic because of his outsized import in artwork. The first modern comic without a CCA seal is historic (and in that case, valuable). The marriage of Superman and Lois Lane is historic, but only because of the characters’ outsized importance in comics. The last appearance of the original Captain Marvel is historic. The first appearance of a black person on a Big Two comic cover would be historic. The first true Graphic Novel? Yes.  A homosexual kiss on the cover of a comic would be historic. The first appearance of the Phantom Stranger? Nah. Most storylines? Nope. 

On 8/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, Rick2you2 said:

The marriage of Superman and Lois Lane is historic, but only because of the characters’ outsized importance in comics.

The whole idea of Superman & Lois Lane as a couple has been around since forever.  And there have been a few "imaginary" Supes/Lois marriage stories.  Do they count as historic?  To me, the "real" marriage between Superman and Lois was in Action Comics 484 ( https://www.comics.org/issue/32287/ ).  Of course, that was pre-Crisis.  But it was a real marriage with the Golden Age Supes and Lois.  It also started the "Mr & Mrs Superman" backup stories, so it was a real thing.  The cover was on ebay way back when.  Not really a fan of the interiors unless it's the splash page where they take the Kryptonian marriage vows.  Just about any post-Crisis event is subject to reboot (e.g. New 52) and almost non-historic.  There, I said it.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:00 AM, Will_K said:

The whole idea of Superman & Lois Lane as a couple has been around since forever.  And there have been a few "imaginary" Supes/Lois marriage stories.  Do they count as historic?  To me, the "real" marriage between Superman and Lois was in Action Comics 484 ( https://www.comics.org/issue/32287/ ).  Of course, that was pre-Crisis.  But it was a real marriage with the Golden Age Supes and Lois.  It also started the "Mr & Mrs Superman" backup stories, so it was a real thing.  The cover was on ebay way back when.  Not really a fan of the interiors unless it's the splash page where they take the Kryptonian marriage vows.  Just about any post-Crisis event is subject to reboot (e.g. New 52) and almost non-historic.  There, I said it.

Action 484 cover was on eBay circa 2002. Jon won it for 2600. I was the underbidder.  Excellent Garcia-Lopez piece. I shudder to think at how much it would command today