• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[Closed] WTB 1 representative copy of "The Strand Magazine" / Sherlock Holmes
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi

I am a collector from Germany and I have my sweet spot in comic books. Nonetheless, I am currently looking for a loose original issue (no bound volume, exept, maybe, an example of the "Royal Edition") of the British edition of the "Strand Magazine" with a Sherlock Holmes story in fine/very fine condition as a representative copy of the series (and to carefully read it).

I am aware of the offerings on abebooks.com and eBay but I'd prefer a much better example condition wise. 

Thank you for any help/links.

Edited by Pickie

It seems that I cannot find any prices realised/auction results for single issues of the 1891 Strand Magazine, Vol. II (7 - 12 / July - Dec.).

Vol. II, no. 7, contains the first Holmes story (in The Strand) - A Scandal in Bohemia - and is supposed to be the rarest (due to lower print run, print run rocketed afterwards).

Would somebody be able to help out with prices realised (single issues in question in any condition)?

Edit:

Oh -- and are they listed in the "Bookery's Guide", at least maybe the US editions of The Strand? hm @Bookery :foryou:

Edited by Pickie
Remembered "Bookery's"

On 8/17/2023 at 9:21 AM, Pickie said:

It seems that I cannot find any prices realised/auction results for single issues of the 1891 Strand Magazine, Vol. II (7 - 12 / July - Dec.).

Vol. II, no. 7, contains the first Holmes story (in The Strand) - A Scandal in Bohemia - and is supposed to be the rarest (due to lower print run, print run rocketed afterwards).

Would somebody be able to help out with prices realised (single issues in question in any condition)?

Edit:

Oh -- and are they listed in the "Bookery's Guide", at least maybe the US editions of The Strand? hm @Bookery :foryou:

No, sorry... The Strand is not included in the guide.

On 8/18/2023 at 5:34 PM, BitterOldMan said:

From 2019 Heritage auction.  Quite fragile, so people tended to bind them. Good luck in your search.

Yeah, that's the closest I could find, too. 7/1891 through 6/1892 (12 issues) in a "bundle" deal.

Right now, I am being offered issues 7/1891 through 12/1891 in a "bundle" deal for a little above the same amount, and not in such good condition. Quite likely will pass on that. If they had different covers, that would be another story ... 🤷

Edited by Pickie
spelling