• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE BIGGEST STAMP DEAL ---- THE PLAYERS

16 posts in this topic

The answer.... rich white guys with way too much money.

Bill Gross said in an interview in Linn's Stamp News that his stamp collection was a hobby and not an investment. Smart guy like that would be the first to tell you that there are much better and more prudent places to put one's money than in collectibles. After all, he made his $1.1 billion fortune in bonds - I didn't see anyone on the Forbes 400 list who made his fortune in comic book original art. screwy.gif

So does this mean Bill Gross no longer owns an inverted Jenny?

No, I'm guessing he still does. He just bought the Inverted Jenny block very recently and I'm pretty sure he bought it just to flip for the Z-Grill.

The answer.... rich white guys with way too much money.

Bill Gross said in an interview in Linn's Stamp News that his stamp collection was a hobby and not an investment. Smart guy like that would be the first to tell you that there are much better and more prudent places to put one's money than in collectibles. After all, he made his $1.1 billion fortune in bonds - I didn't see anyone on the Forbes 400 list who made his fortune in comic book original art. screwy.gif

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO smart, Delicatessen. Gosh I wish I were you.

No, I'm guessing he still does. He just bought the Inverted Jenny block very recently and I'm pretty sure he bought it just to flip for the Z-Grill.

confused-smiley-013.gif That's a confusing post worthy of krazykat.

No, he doesn't own the Inverted Jenny block. He traded it for the Z-Grill.

There's more than one Inverted Jenny. So he could own an Inverted Jenny BEYOND the block that he traded. Not confusing at all smile.gif

There's more than one Inverted Jenny. So he could own an Inverted Jenny BEYOND the block that he traded. Not confusing at all smile.gif

My point exactly. The guy's a completionist. A block of 4 undamaged Inverted Jenny stamps is very very rare (almost unique). A single Jenny is damn tough, but there are more than enough out there for Mr. Gross to have at least one other in his collection.

The painful thing about this story is that he was outbid for the Z Grill at $900K and ended up paying $3 Mil for it just 5 years later. Ouch.

Thanks for the clarification. Stamps aren't my bag, baby. wink.gif

My point exactly. The guy's a completionist. A block of 4 undamaged Inverted Jenny stamps is very very rare (almost unique). A single Jenny is damn tough, but there are more than enough out there for Mr. Gross to have at least one other in his collection.

The painful thing about this story is that he was outbid for the Z Grill at $900K and ended up paying $3 Mil for it just 5 years later. Ouch.

I don't think the price mattered. This was the last one he needed for the entire 19th century set - whatever price was set for it he would have paid. 5 years ago he probably needed other ones. He won't be dropping big jack on 19th century stamps anymore, as there aren't anymore for him to get.

He won't be dropping big jack on 19th century stamps anymore, as there aren't anymore for him to get.

All he has is every US 19th century stamp. What about 18th century? Or stamps of other countries?

He won't be dropping big jack on 19th century stamps anymore, as there aren't anymore for him to get.

All he has is every US 19th century stamp. What about 18th century? Or stamps of other countries?

The first official US stamp was in 1847. Great Britain was a few years before that, so there are no official 18th century stamps.

In the old days before that the local postman would sometime create their own stamp, but in the vast majority of cases the envelope would be stamped upon payment.

The first official US stamp was in 1847. Great Britain was a few years before that, so there are no official 18th century stamps.

In the old days before that the local postman would sometime create their own stamp, but in the vast majority of cases the envelope would be stamped upon payment.

Okay, so when Bill Gross has every 19th century British stamp too, THEN I'll be impressed. tongue.gif