• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee & Todd McFarlane Signed Spider-Man 1
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm just interested in what more knowledgable signature people think about investing long term in a Spider-Man 1 from 1990 signed by both legends. For simplicity's sake, let's just say it's a 9.6 or 9.8 of the regular cover non-newsstand. I see these going for well over a thousand and closer to two thousand. Any thoughts on the ceiling ? I know Stan signed a ton of stuff and McFarlane has a lot out there now too. But a book with both of them is now not possible and only a set amount of them exist now.

Thanks everyone! 

On 8/3/2022 at 11:19 PM, yoda12288 said:

Hey all,

I'm just interested in what more knowledgable signature people think about investing long term in a Spider-Man 1 from 1990 signed by both legends. For simplicity's sake, let's just say it's a 9.6 or 9.8 of the regular cover non-newsstand. I see these going for well over a thousand and closer to two thousand. Any thoughts on the ceiling ? I know Stan signed a ton of stuff and McFarlane has a lot out there now too. But a book with both of them is now not possible and only a set amount of them exist now.

Thanks everyone! 

I don’t know anything about investing in comics, but it’s still possible to make more of these as Todd still signs (should have an upcoming signing in December). Yellow labels can be cracked and signed by CGC or a facilitator.

On 8/4/2022 at 12:19 AM, yoda12288 said:

Hey all,

Thanks everyone! 

What is your reasoning for those prices? Why would the Spider-Man 1 be some kind of Stan Lee flashpoint?

I was a pretty vocal "Get Stan to sign something he worked on" guy.  The vast, vast majority of the Stan's I did myself he had a writing credit on.

The market has pretty much borne out that a Stan sig on any Marvel book is a value add - but I am curious why you think that SM 1 is special.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:34 AM, seanfingh said:

What is your reasoning for those prices? Why would the Spider-Man 1 be some kind of Stan Lee flashpoint?

I was a pretty vocal "Get Stan to sign something he worked on" guy.  The vast, vast majority of the Stan's I did myself he had a writing credit on.

The market has pretty much borne out that a Stan sig on any Marvel book is a value add - but I am curious why you think that SM 1 is special.

The reasoning for the prices is Ebay, They've been solidly rising over the past little while, particularly the double signed ones by Stan and Todd. I feel like even though SM #1 was printed in the millions the high grade ones that are double signed are rather rare. Also, SM #1 is one of the most swiped covers in all of comics and it's place in pop culture is very well established now. It's just so popular and has attained one of the most iconic cover status of all time. And to have it signed by two of the most influential Spider-Man artists is pretty good long-term play. 

On 8/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, yoda12288 said:

The reasoning for the prices is Ebay, They've been solidly rising over the past little while, particularly the double signed ones by Stan and Todd. I feel like even though SM #1 was printed in the millions the high grade ones that are double signed are rather rare. Also, SM #1 is one of the most swiped covers in all of comics and it's place in pop culture is very well established now. It's just so popular and has attained one of the most iconic cover status of all time. And to have it signed by two of the most influential Spider-Man artists is pretty good long-term play. 

That's pretty well-reasoned.  It's hard for me to think of it as "Iconic" because I remember cases and cases and cases of that book being wheeled in and out of the LCS that I did a lot of business with in the early 90's.

But I think you are right. So many homage covers.  I think you make a logical argument.  Now go buy up all those copies . . .

On 8/4/2022 at 3:57 PM, seanfingh said:

That's pretty well-reasoned.  It's hard for me to think of it as "Iconic" because I remember cases and cases and cases of that book being wheeled in and out of the LCS that I did a lot of business with in the early 90's.

But I think you are right. So many homage covers.  I think you make a logical argument.  Now go buy up all those copies . . .

Haha, i know, right. I wish I could . Just the double signed ones though :) Thanks for chiming in!