• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Summer Edition (#3) Round #4
11 11

198 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2022 at 7:03 PM, grendelbo said:

9 pts. Worst round. I graded a few books to tough.

20220808_165337.thumb.jpg.2fbd2f490a23ae0b922d5853eac3ab8a.jpg

I don't think it's your worst round.

Underground  4.0

Adventure  5.5

ASM  9.0

IM 6.5

NM  9.2

I think we killed it. :devil:

That adventure book doing better than 6.0? 

The iron man?

:screwy:

Underworld #3 3.0

Adventure Comics #256 5.5

Spidey #54 8.5

Iron Man #55 7.5

New Mutants #98 9.4

I took way more off on the first two books for back cover stains/damage than CGC. Look at the bc of Underworld vs FF25 from round 3 which got a 2.5 vs the 4.5 for this one. I don’t get it. The only other thing that was a learning xp for me was no mention of the writing on Spidey fc which had me bring it down from 9.0 to 8.5.  

it’s all good…great job @CGC Mike.

Underworld #3  3.0 +3

Adventure Comics #256  7.0

Spidey #54   9.2 +1

Iron Man #55  6.5 +2

New Mutants #98   9.6

I had the underworld #3 at an 4.5 but the more I looked at that soiled bc the lower the grade got. Should of gone with my first instinct. I still had a lot of fun and cant wait for the next contest😁

Well I learned how to account for `Moderate soiling back cover` now. 

The adventure comics I started with a 7.0 but ended up with 6.0. It was a sad looking book and it looked like there was more going on with the top back cover. 

The New Mutants, I considered 9.6 but ended up choosing the *safe* grade of 9.4. (That corner wear tho, they'll give anyone a 9.6)

• Administrator

Thanks to all who participated.  Also, I appreciate the kind words in the thread and in the PM.  I enjoy these contests as much as you guys do.  :smile:

On 8/8/2022 at 8:20 PM, WilliamLunt said:

18 points is a solid score for Top 3. Crossing my fingers for you!

Thanks, I really missed on the Adventure and ASM. I had 9.4 on the spidey and 7.0 on the adventure. So uncharacteristic as I am usually under.

Really enjoyed taking part Mike. Thanks for your efforts (and to Jay for the summaries).

I was hoping for a great last round to salvage some pride, and I would have got it if not for that Iron Man. +4 on that and +3 on the other four books combined.

7 points I think:

Underworld #3  3.5

Adventure Comics #256  5.5

Spidey #54 9.4

Iron Man #55 7.5

New Mutants #98  9.6

Dang that Adventure Comics! :tonofbricks:

Ah well. 

Thank you @CGC Mike for hosting this contest. It was fun, even there I know I had no chance to come even close to the top 3, or even top 10. Good times! (thumbsu

I was more strict on the Adventure #256 because I saw that the stain went through the whole book...graded it 6.0 as a result.

I also thought the corner crunch on the New Mutants #98 would hurt the book more...graded it 9.2 thinking it might be 9.4.

Makes me question some of the 9.4s I got back in my last submission...may have just run into some tough graders!

I'd sure like to know exactly what's happening at the top staple of Book #17 (Adventure #256).  I thought those two distinct dark vertical lines in the white area of the spine were evidence of a blown or partially blown staple.  Apparently, this is just "spine and/or staple wear."  doh!

17x1.jpg.83de84d933662108e770831961b98185.jpg