• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee Sketch - Frame/'Slab'?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Back in '05/'06 12 year old me attended a local Comic Con Jim Lee was attending. I got there waaaay too late and missed the opportunity to meet Jim. After a lengthy wait outside the room he was finishing up commissions in and a security guard that was probably sick of the site of me, a dude appeared out of the room and gave me the pictured sketch that Jim had done for me! I've stored it in a polybag ever since because I didn't want to ruin it but have now decided to display it. I have a couple of OA that I've framed but because of it's size I was thinking. would it be worth getting it 'slabbed'? or is that even a thing for sketches? Thanks in advance!

JimLee.jpg

Slabbing art sounds like getting it framed

CGC does accept art and they "encapsulate" it in a sort of CGC branded polybag type of thing. Not too familiar with it since I don't own one but it exists. But I think you need to have the sketch witnessed by CGC for it to qualify for that grading (I don't think green labels exist for that, but again I might be wrong. I just have only ever seen yellow labels for that) https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-sig-series/?view=prints-photos-sketches

If it's about the same size as a comic, the other guys do have a grading category for art that you can look into, but I'd just get it into a nice frame to be honest over any of the "grading" options. If you're concerned about the frame being too small you could get it matted to be a bigger size

Whichever way you decide to go about displaying it, congrats on getting this :) Looks really nice for a simple sketch

Edited by JC25427N

On 8/5/2022 at 12:31 AM, ARyan_ said:

Back in '05/'06 12 year old me attended a local Comic Con Jim Lee was attending. I got there waaaay too late and missed the opportunity to meet Jim. After a lengthy wait outside the room he was finishing up commissions in and a security guard that was probably sick of the site of me, a dude appeared out of the room and gave me the pictured sketch that Jim had done for me! I've stored it in a polybag ever since because I didn't want to ruin it but have now decided to display it. I have a couple of OA that I've framed but because of it's size I was thinking. would it be worth getting it 'slabbed'? or is that even a thing for sketches? Thanks in advance!

JimLee.jpg

I would not get it slabbed or graded. Go to a quality frame shop and get it matted and framed using the highest quality archival materials to preserve it against acidity and paper damage.

Then display this treasure proudly and out of the damaging rays of direct sunlight.

That is a great sketch, I have a similar one from SDCC in 1996 and it’s really quickly drawn (probably because it’s SDCC and was crazy crowded). Being at the smaller convention you were at probably netted you a more concise sketch - I’d frame it up and leave it at that. 

I think that was really nice of Jim Lee to do that and it must have a great sentimental value to you.

If I were you I would put the art in a mylar and then put that in a routine frame you can buy inexpensively online for display in your room or office or house.  I not sure it would have much resale value personalized like that which is why I would not custom frame it.  The reason I don't custom frame my signed baseball jerseys is because the frame is often more expensive to do than the jersey.