• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Strange Tales 138
3 3

9 posts in this topic

A fairly recent acquisition. I've really been digging the SA Strange Tales lately and got a fair price on this one. Obvious ding on the bottom left corner. The foxing/tanning on the back gave me some pause, but it didn't seem bad. The only unusual thing is the pattern where there's almost a frame around the outer edges instead of the usual darkest at the edges discoloration. Ideas on why that would happen?

StrangeTales138.jpg

StrangeTales138-a.jpg

StrangeTales138-b.jpg

StrangeTales138-c.jpg

StrangeTales138-d.jpg

StrangeTales138-e.jpg

StrangeTales138-f.jpg

StrangeTales138-g.jpg

On 8/6/2022 at 7:03 PM, scburdet said:

The only unusual thing is the pattern where there's almost a frame around the outer edges instead of the usual darkest at the edges discoloration. Ideas on why that would happen?

This looks like a classic "oil transfer stain" to me.  This is what happens when oil from the interior printing ink migrates to and penetrates the cover stock.  Oil migration is possible because the printing inks used on the interior are oil based.  An oil transfer stain is generally regarded as a blemish/defect (but one that's less severe than an equivalent moisture stain).   (thumbsu  :foryou:

I probably should have included this in my earlier post: the stained portion of the back cover is not the "frame" (or top and bottom edges, which are still white) but the area within the frame (which has yellowed from the oil transfer).

1236626040_AdT05-85-MH.thumb.jpg.9829c9a6d5836e894c1d2aed06fd712b.jpg AdT-05.png.2a90c072e88c12e699b0b15ece5ca33f.png

Edited by zzutak

On 8/7/2022 at 12:39 PM, zzutak said:

the stained portion of the back cover is not the "frame"

No problem. I managed to deduce that based on the white being the natural color. I hope this is a 7.5 b/c that's what it was sold as.