• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1950's. (1958) The Path of History
2 2

259 posts in this topic

ON NEWSSTANDS DECEMBER 1958

Steve Ditko also had a story for Journey Into Mystery #51 (Russ Heath cover). No writer listed, though odds are it was a Carl Kessler inventory story. Still didn't stop Marvel from giving Lee credit in the 2019 Omnibus. 

RCO028.jpg

RCO029.jpg

RCO030.jpg

RCO031.jpg

RCO032.jpg

Sometime in 1958 Jack Kirby also did a story that was never published in an American comic. A full 25 page Westerns story! (Marvel was doing NONE of those). Here's Doc Vassallo on it:

"And finally, a very special treat! Back in 2012, Jack Kirby Museum founder Rand Hoppe contacted me about a strange Jack Kirby story that turned up in an Italian reprint edition. Luca Dolcini sent Rand and the Kirby Museum images of pages from a 25 page Kirby western story from La Legge Del West and in the splash panel was the job #O-253. Rand passed this data on to me and I immediately knew we'd found gold! The story, "Partitia Finale A Snake River" had never, ever seen print in an Atlas comic book! The cover appears to be John Severin."

You can read more about it here (it's the last story on the page): Dr. Michael J. Vassallo's Blog

Part ONE:

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.1.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.2.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.3.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.4.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.5.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.6.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.7.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.8.jpg

Sometime in 1958 Jack Kirby also did a story that was never published in an American comic. A full 25 page Westerns story! (Marvel was doing NONE of those). Here's Doc Vassallo on it:

"And finally, a very special treat! Back in 2012, Jack Kirby Museum founder Rand Hoppe contacted me about a strange Jack Kirby story that turned up in an Italian reprint edition. Luca Dolcini sent Rand and the Kirby Museum images of pages from a 25 page Kirby western story from La Legge Del West and in the splash panel was the job #O-253. Rand passed this data on to me and I immediately knew we'd found gold! The story, "Partitia Finale A Snake River" had never, ever seen print in an Atlas comic book! The cover appears to be John Severin."

You can read more about it here (it's the last story on the page): Dr. Michael J. Vassallo's Blog

Part TWO:

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.9.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.10.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.11.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.12.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.13.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.14.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.15.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.16.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.17.jpg

Part THREE:

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.18.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.19.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.20.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.21.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.22.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.23.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.24.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.25.jpg

Showdown At Snake River #1 p.26.jpg

Steve Ditko also had a busy month, also doing a story in Marvel's Battle #63 (Carl Burgos cover). Even as a war story (which Stan probably did the least of in any genre), Marvel retroactively gives Lee credit in the 2019 Omnibus. It's most likely nonsense of course. 

Carl Burgos cover.jpg

RCO016_1586552173.jpg

RCO017_1586552173.jpg

RCO018_1586552173.jpg

RCO020_1586552173.jpg

Steve Ditko also did even MORE work released for Charlton in December, including the cover and 3 stories in Tales of the Mysterious Traveler #11. All most likely written by Joe Gill. 

Story TWO (as J. Kodti):

Story ONE:

0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Edited by Prince Namor