• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I made an app to notify me when original art drops on 50+ sites like Essential Sequential and Cadence Comic Art and I’m sharing it with others to get feedback!
3 3

8 posts in this topic

TL;DR - I'm Chris and I made Nerd Crawler to notify me when new original art and collectibles drop at my favorite sites, and I’m now opening it up to get feedback!

——

I've been casually collecting original art since 2007, but recently, I've gotten more into it. But, after missing some great original comic art because I missed out on a social media post or I wasn't refreshing webpages all the time, I decided to take it upon myself to make an app that monitors original comic art and collectibles sites so we can get updates when new art/product drops.

I decided to affectionately name it Nerd Crawler, and I’m building it myself so there might be some bugs but I’m hoping it helps us grow our collections while giving us time back to go live our lives. It works with over 50 sites including: The Art of Paul Smith, Essential Sequential, Cadence Comic Art, Kirby Comics Art Shop and a bunch of Big Cartel sites like Dustin Nguyen's, Jim Cheungs, Chris Bachalo's and more.

If you’d like to try it out visit https://www.nerdcrawler.com/ to sign up for an account. 

I want this to be a helpful app for the community so if you have any feedback, let me know!

[Note to the mods]: If this isn't okay to post, feel free to take it down. I'm just hoping to get the word out to other original art buyers now that Nerd Crawler is in public beta.

sms-nerd-crawler.png

On 8/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, wurstisart said:

Isn’t caf doing the same thing?

CAF is awesome at providing alerts for a lot of sites. But, to my knowledge, they don't have provide text alerts, and they don't provide alerts for artists that use Big Cartel (e.g. Jim Cheung, Dustin Nguyen, etc.) and some art dealers like Cadence Comic Art, Modern Mythology Comic Art, etc. 

To be completely honest with you I fail to see what your offering brings that a bog standard site checker app, Chrome extension, etc. offers already at a significant fraction of the cost. Sometimes even free. It's way overpriced compared to what's out there already. 

As someone else mentioned, this is offered free with a CAF premium membership, i.e. an email when site updates go live for search terms in your want list. It's even still there for a free membership, just a few hours delayed.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:58 PM, barneythecantankerous said:

To be completely honest with you I fail to see what your offering brings that a bog standard site checker app, Chrome extension, etc. offers already at a significant fraction of the cost. Sometimes even free. It's way overpriced compared to what's out there already. 

As someone else mentioned, this is offered free with a CAF premium membership, i.e. an email when site updates go live for search terms in your want list. It's even still there for a free membership, just a few hours delayed.

Thanks for the feedback and for checking Nerd Crawler out! The CAF solution is great for sites that integrate with CAF, but I built Nerd Crawler to help those who wanted monitoring for non-CAF artists/dealers that have art that sells super fast (e.g Cadence Comic Art, Essential Sequential, Big Cartel sites for Jim Cheung and Dustin Nguyen, Capullo Grab Bags, Skottie Young daily sketches, etc.)

I’m definitely hearing feedback around pricing so I’ll look into that. I was thinking of adding a plan for $1/crawler/month and that way people can spend however much or little they want. Let me know if you think that is better

Edited by nerdcrawlerdotcom