• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers who use the last auction sale to buy a book
1 1

88 posts in this topic

Here's some perspective from a collector's standpoint:  there's a book I'm interested in listed on one of the websites (not the OPs) in raw VF (8.0 equivalent) for $1500.  A slabbed 7.5 copy of this book just sold at auction for less than $800.  In my mind, the raw copy is overpriced - assuming it would grade out at CGC at 8.0 I'm on the hook for $1500 + slabbing costs vs $750 for an 0.5 grade bump.  Despite the one-off nature of an auction, I'd have to take that result into account if I were going to make an offer on the VF book.  I agree that the seller is under no obligation to accept my offer, or any other offer of less than the listed price and it doesn't upset me when an offer is declined.

Doesn’t hurt to make an offer, and if you’re getting bombarded with dumb offers you can ignore them or even set a minimum. I’m likely to block someone who sends rude messages regarding something I have for sale though. I actually have offers turned off for a lot of my items and sometimes someone will contact me with an offer in PM and I’ll end up accepting it anyway

On 9/12/2022 at 1:58 PM, dupont2005 said:

Doesn’t hurt to make an offer, and if you’re getting bombarded with dumb offers you can ignore them or even set a minimum. I’m likely to block someone who sends rude messages regarding something I have for sale though. I actually have offers turned off for a lot of my items and sometimes someone will contact me with an offer in PM and I’ll end up accepting it anyway

This sounds right.  Make whatever offer you want based on whatever data as long as you’re polite and honest.

likewise the potential seller can accept or counteroffer based on whatever logic/premise.

The reasons don’t have to match to make a sale, just the price.

The whole idea of ‘negotiating’ annoys me. I will occasionally send offers but more often than not I wait it out and see if there is an eventual discount.

I guess I am used to Target - the price is the price take it or leave it. unless the book is the last I need in a run or rare, I will more often than not move on.

I don’t sell much but I would rather deal with an anonymous bidding platform. I don’t need to hear anyone’s rationale. Just give me an offer and leave it at that.

"Buyers who use the last auction sale to buy a book" - if those buyers are using Heritage sales, then count yourself lucky. That place has been off-the-hook crazy lately.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:20 AM, Dr. Balls said:

"Buyers who use the last auction sale to buy a book" - if those buyers are using Heritage sales, then count yourself lucky. That place has been off-the-hook crazy lately.

This is true, and the good news / bad news is that they've consistently been the site most likely to generate matches against my current want list (which is mostly 9.6 WP upgrades in the late-Silver and Bronze Ages).  Each week there is usually at least one match, often between two and six.  But it's one of the most expensive ways to fill in a run.

On 9/14/2022 at 11:20 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Heritage and ATH's are allowed. Never ceases to amaze me.  

Edited by WolverineX