• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Needed: Bluelines or Not?

7 posts in this topic

I bought some comics from someone recently and they had these 2 art pieces included. The seller told me they’re original and that he bought the Burnham directly from the artist. I’m just not sure if they are copies that were used to ink over or if they include both the pencils and inks. Can someone help verify these? It would be really appreciated. 

Sorry for the newbie question. I just want to make sure and learn more about how to ID this stuff. 

D6C4F3C3-AA72-48F1-BDE9-EB16435116A8.jpeg

266A8682-9C18-4296-BDE4-4CE4FCBA4A1D.jpeg

Chris Burnham usually inked himself during that period of Batman Inc. He usually blue line pencils the page and finishes it during the inking process. 

The Kubert's usually keep all their original art pages. The only ones that enter the market are usually the inker's 1/3 they get from the artists. I wouldn't know for sure without really looking at the pencils to see if they are printed out blue lines or the originals.

Edited by Nate Hartz
fix spelling

On 8/12/2022 at 12:53 AM, lemonman6 said:

I bought some comics from someone recently and they had these 2 art pieces included. The seller told me they’re original and that he bought the Burnham directly from the artist. I’m just not sure if they are copies that were used to ink over or if they include both the pencils and inks. Can someone help verify these? It would be really appreciated. 

Sorry for the newbie question. I just want to make sure and learn more about how to ID this stuff. 

What are the titles and artists?

The second one especially looks like bluelines (which are blue printed out versions of the scanned pencils) but it could also be blue pencils (regular blue color pencil that the artist used by hand).

The Kuberts are repped by https://www.essentialsequential.com/ - you could inquire there or they may have pages from the same series.

Thanks a lot guys! Very helpful! 

The Kubert is from Robin Rises and Burnham is from Batman Incorporated. 

I noticed that Burnham does ink his own stuff and so it’s his work regardless. The Kubert piece makes sense that it’s a blue line. I didn’t pay much for these because I somewhat knew they weren’t pencils, so all good.

If you could contact him directly, hopefully he'd answer. I'm not familiar with either title.

If these are the published pages, that's better.

Since he's both the penciller and inker for the one, it's prolly better. The bluelines look like a rough prelim.