• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staples replaced = Qualified?
3 3

10 posts in this topic

I have a Batman #10 that is currently in the final stage of grading. The staples have been replaced and I was assuming that it would grade as conserved. Unfortunately according to the graders notes it is qualified. Any insight would be greatly helpful. 

Screenshot_20220812-094917_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220812-094929_Chrome.jpg

Prior to July 1, 2014, books with staples that had been removed, cleaned, and/or replaced were assigned Qualified (Green Label) Grades.  At that point in time, CGC introduced its Conserved Label.  CGC lists staple cleaning and/or replacement as a type of conservation repair eligible for a Conserved (initially Blue/Purple Label, now Blue/Grey Label) Grade.

I have dozens of examples of books certified after July 1, 2014 that have "Staples Replaced" as the only extra/non-standard label notation.  Some have Conserved Grades, while others have Qualified Grades.  I'm pretty sharp when it comes to spotting subtle trends and deducing the underlying reasons.  However, in this case, I've drawn a blank.  (shrug)

Is the choice of grade category left to the discretion of the grader?  Did some of the long-time graders miss the memo that went out in mid-2014?  Is there a more objective/satisfactory basis for the assigned category?  These may be questions that can only be answered by CGC.  So it may be best to pose your question again in the Ask CGC Forum.   :foryou:

On 8/12/2022 at 6:21 PM, zzutak said:

Bingo!  Non-archival tape is not an acceptable conservation material.  Definitely not something a pro would use.  (thumbsu

So in theory if I completely remove the tape it would grade as conserved

Edited by Barth