• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Hype Question.

12 posts in this topic

Okay, so movie hype does a LOT for a book's sale value, right? So, when does this phenomenon play out? Will we see a day (in the reasonable, forseeable future) when the announcement of a movie adaptation does very little for a book's marketability?

Right now, comic book movies are the one and only hype influence on back issue prices. New comics are DOA for sales, and it's been a long time (Spidey Clone - ASM 149?) since a new comic has created a run on a common issue that is suddenly deemed Key.

I also don't think that outside of movies and potential character appearances, that we'll ever have another truly Key Issue find, like we used to have weekly in the 1970's and 80's. Movies are the last bastion for getting Joe Sixpack buying comics he has literally no knowledge or interest in,

This scares me, as Hollywood is a transient bunch, and I really wonder what will happen to the back issue market once the movie train makes its final stop.

After a Marvel movie bombs, comic related series will hopefully be developed for TV. Smallville (Kreuk) & Mutant X (writer Howard Chaykin) are well received by the masses. Unfortunately, Birds of Prey tanked due to lack of character development & lame relationships frown.gif .

hm. This was just interesting to me because I saw "Bulletproof Monk" last night (an OK movie... plenty o' fun, plenty o' cheese), and seeing as how I'd never read the comic I went to look it up on Ebay and I was surprised to see that there is VERY little available and what there was was very inexpensive? (Of course, now that I say that, there is a HUGE amount of movie-related props and whatnot listed... harharhar) But as far as the books are concerned, there just seemed to be very little interest. That's what got me to thinking about this, anyway...

How much of the subsequent buying frenzy of a movie-hyped comic is really coming from the "Joe Sixpacks"---and how much is from comic collectors/investor/speculators ANTICIPATING the arrival of Sixpack money??

If we suspect a coming movie will make a tiltle suddenly get hotter, many of us would try to buy them before the price DOES go up.....right? I always find it hard to believe that all that many "civilians can EVER be induced to buy a comic book for ANY reason!

How much of the subsequent buying frenzy of a movie-hyped comic is really coming from the "Joe Sixpacks"---and how much is from comic collectors/investor/speculators ANTICIPATING the arrival of Sixpack money??

That's why I figure the "pre-movie hype" thing HAS to fade away sooner rather than later.... nobody's seeing these movies and saying "Hey! I've gotta get me some comics!" and then they rush out and drop hundreds on three or four choice books. So how long can the cycle of idiocy sustain itself? Will specs just trade money indefinitely?

>>How much of the subsequent buying frenzy of a movie-hyped comic is really coming from the "Joe Sixpacks"---and how much is from comic collectors/investor/speculators ANTICIPATING the arrival of Sixpack money??

That's actually what happened with Daredevil 131, and tons of comic dealers and speculators loaded up on the book (against my advice, I might add) and then were left holding the bag when tattoo-head Bullseye emerged and the movie tanked after the first weekend.

Sometimes the key to making money is convincing the specs that Joe Sixpack will be visiting with stacks of money, and then sell off within our fraternity only.

Personally, I think that outside of Hulk 181, the general public isn't buying any CGC comics at all, and sales are mostly from one spec to another, until the music ends and there's only one chair left. grin.gif

Personally, I think that outside of Hulk 181, the general public isn't buying any CGC comics at all, and sales are mostly from one spec to another, until the music ends and there's only one chair left.

Man....some of you guys really have Hulk 181 burned on your brains. If I hear anymore about this book, I'm going to puke, major key or not! grin.gif

Anyway, I think that there are some other books that non-collectors are buying, like certain key ASM's.

I know Im unimpressed with it and sick of it too--but until some other super-hyped Bronze book sells for $19 freakin thousand buck, it will the ONE to get mentioned over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...ad nauseum

I think I have to throw up now..be right back. tongue.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifconfused.gif

>>Man....some of you guys really have Hulk 181 burned on your brains. If I hear anymore about this book, I'm going to puke, major key or not!

Hulk 181 is the only book I know of that has jumped 300% in price, over the last month or so, for CGC VG-Fine issues!! That tells me some real ninnies are jumping in and buying whatever copies they can find.

Hulk 181 is the only book I know of that has jumped 300% in price, over the last month or so, for CGC VG-Fine issues!! That tells me some real ninnies are jumping in and buying whatever copies they can find.

Yep. I don't disagree at all, I just notice that this book is discussed to death on these boards. tongue.gif